Cannot access the external system import page

Hızır Bilişim February 25, 2020

Hello everyone,

I'd like to import my issues from one jira server to another. Since I need to import my activity history as well, I need to import them as a JSON file as I believe it is not possible to import Activity history if I use any other file format (correct me if I'm wrong in this).

I've got no problems exporting them, but when I click on the External System Import page, It gives me an error saying "Sorry, we had some technical problems during your last operation."

Is there a general bug at the moment, or is it a problem with our server? And is there an alternative way of importing issues other than the JSON importer.

Thank you in advance

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 27, 2020

Hi Hızır,

Sorry to hear that you are having this problem accessing the external system import in Jira Server.  I am not aware of any outstanding bugs that relate to being unable to access that utility in Jira at the moment.

You might be able to use the Bulk importer in its place.  Issues -> Import issues from CSV.  This utility it open to all users that have the create permission in Jira.  But this is not the same as the External System importer.  This utility has most of the same abilities, but it does not have all the same abilities, such as importing data for some system fields, (like Rank, issue links, etc).  So it might not be suitable for every use case of importing data from CSV into Jira.

If this is not a suitable alternative for you, I would be interested to see if we can better understand the error message you are seeing when trying to access the external system importer.  It might also be necessary to take a look at the $JIRAHOME/log/atlassian-jira.log file immediately after you try to access this resource. If the web interface of Jira is not telling us much about this failure, perhaps that log might have some more details about what is wrong here. I would only expect that Jira System Administrators would have access to this, but if you didn't have access, you shouldn't even see any links to that utility in Jira.

Please let me know what you find.

Andy

Suggest an answer