Cannot access JIRA in Chrome anymore

Willeke Schmidt November 4, 2020

I cannot log on to JIRA or Confluence with Chrome anymore. I have cleared my cache a few times, which brings me to the original log on - I can go through the logon process, including entering my Microsoft Authenticator PIN, but then it just displays - "We couldn’t log you in

You may run into this issue when you use specific browsers or add-ons that hide the referer header for id.atlassian.com and other Atlassian sites. Check for these and then try logging in again."

I have the standard settings and no add-ins installed myself. I uninstalled Chrome, and installed it again, which did the trick for 10 mins. After that, I could access JIRA via Chrome anymore.

Can someone help?

4 answers

5 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 5, 2021

Hello everyone!

I noticed this is a common concern, so I wanted to shed some light on the situation that can help you.

Three possibilities could produce this error.

1. The browser is outdated. Check Chrome and see there are any available updates. Re-install Chrome completely if an update doesn't resolve it.
  2. The network rules block the Cloud server resources. Try loading the site again from an external network (non-corporate network). If it loads from another network, your network is blocking access. Have your network administrator whitelist the IP addresses and domains for Atlassian cloud products.
  3. There's a conflict with a workstation configuration or a browser add-on. Try and load the site using Incognito mode, eliminating the possibility of issues caused by a browser add-on. If you have already tried that, there may be something else causing the error.  Try to access the site from a personal device, such as a laptop or phone. Does the problem persist there?

Review our Supported browsers for Atlassian cloud products to be sure you have a supported browser version. Beta versions are not supported; it must be a stable release.

If you aren't able to narrow down the issue with these steps, my next suggestion would be to bring this to your IT support team or network administrators.

Have any questions or need any further help? You can ask a new question on Atlassian Community or create a ticket with our Atlassian support team. We're happy to help!

Take care,

Shannon

3 votes
Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2021

I'm the standard go-to guy for anything related to Atlassian - and in the last few days this also started happening far more often to many of us.  Similar to Gregory, you must delete *all* cookies and cache, daily, or you get hit with that We Couldn't Log you In page (which has broken images?)

It's not an addon, it's not a version issue (no addons and this is a new install of chrome), so it's something else.  other browsers work fine.

Jonathan Cabas July 29, 2021

Agree. This started happening out of the blue for me since yesterday and is not allowing me to access either Jira or Confluence. By the way, I already cleared cache and browser data for the last 7 days. I'm using Chrome Version 92.0.4515.107. On incognito mode works fine.

Jonathan Cabas July 29, 2021

UPDATE: Clearing site data just worked for me.

Open Developer tools -> Storage option within Application section -> Clear site data

Hope it does work for you as well. @Chris Buzon 

image (18).png

Like Chi likes this
Greg Williams July 29, 2021

I found another solution in a different community page for the exact same issue:

Go up to the padlock in Chrome and click on it (the one next to the URL). It then gives you the amount of cookies in use.

Cookiesdelete-1.jpg
Delete them, restart browser and try again.
Cookiesdelete-2.jpg

Like Jonathan Cabas likes this
3 votes
Greg Williams July 23, 2021

This has hit my company all of a sudden. In the last 3 days I've have ~10 users report this exact error.

We had a company-wide update to Chrome pushed due to a security flaw that needed to be patched and then the following day I started seeing these errors. Not entirely certain it's related but leaning towards that as a cause.

For all of them, if we cleared the browser's cache,  that seems to be the solution.

I would start with "last 7 days" then go to "All time" if that does not seem to clear the issue.

You can uncheck "Passwords and other sign-in data". I would leave everything else checked.

When cleared, close/reopen the browser and try again.

image.png

Greg Williams July 27, 2021

FYI as a follow-up, I got hit with the error message Monday morning and my browser was already updated to the latest version, so it's not a browser version issue as far as I'm aware. 

Cache clearing from a month ago resolved the problem.

Like Chris Buzon likes this
1 vote
Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2020

Hi @Willeke Schmidt 

Welcome to community, do you have your Google Profile logged in to Chrome? If you do, you might want to reset that from Chrome settings. one way to test this is by using the Incognito browser mode to test if you can actually login.

Oscar Reyes December 22, 2020

Hi
I have the same issue, my google profile isn't logged in to chrome and i already clear browsing data, can you help me?

Jake Taubner December 30, 2020

I have the same issue on Firefox. I tried using private browsing, disabling extensions, and disabling tracking protection, but nothing made any difference.

Michele Atkinson December 30, 2020

I just started having the same issue today. I can't log into google (company prevents it). I can log in using incognito window in Chrome. 

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 30, 2020

Hey @Oscar Reyes 

Are you using the latest Chrome version. Likewise have you tried Incognito mode to notice any difference?

Hey @Jake Taubner 

It may seem like you might have disabled a required cookie.

Hey @Michele Atkinson 

Most likely you have an extension blocking it on normal browser mode.

Michele Atkinson December 31, 2020

The only extension I have is webex and it still didn't work when I disabled it. 

Div Narayan January 10, 2021

@Michele Atkinson disabling individual apps and signing off Chrome browser did not help. 

Following helped:

(1) chrome://settings/reset

This will direct you to "Reset and clean up" settings of Chrome browser

(2) click on "Restore settings to their original default"

Oscar Alvarez _Alvargon_ January 26, 2021

Reset Chrome configuration is not a solution. I tried in a clean firefox and I have the same issue.

서동우 April 5, 2021

I just solve this. in my case, i just deleted all the cookies of confluence.!

Like # people like this
Dawn Harris April 27, 2021

Deleting the cookies solved my problem.  Thanks!

Bikramjit Ganguly May 29, 2021

like others earlier, deleting the cookies solved my problem (i ended up cleaning all offline storage for atlassian, from chrome dev console,just in case).  Thanks!

Deleted user June 3, 2021

After using option: Clear browsing data-->Cookies and other site data. Problem is resolved in google chrome.

Shakha Pathak July 22, 2021

Deleting the cookies indeed solved the problem. Many thanks for this solution.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events