Can you tag a bot in Slack with Jira App?

Francisco Agustin Cho April 19, 2023

Hi guys, I'm trying to do an automation with Jira and Slack, where if an issue wasn't updated within 72hs it will throw a message tagging a bot + a command.

This bot is an official one from rapid7's insightConnect app.

In slack you can call the bot manually by tagging it (@Bot_Security) but if Jira Server App tags the bot, it just doesn't happen, it appears as normal text, not tagging nor calling the bot.

I know and tried tagging a user with the automation and it works correctly, it seems it doesn't work the same with bots.

Anyone know something about this?

Edit: Let me add some more info. I just remembered that the Jira Automation rule will trigger a workflow transition. This transition has it's own rule that will post a message in a Slack channel.

I know you can post a message with the Jira Automation rule, but did it this way to avoid creating a webhook.

1 answer

0 votes
Sebastian Mondry
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 7, 2023

Hi there,

The Automation Send Slack message action simply leverages Slack's API under the hood, which as you can see in terms of mentioning someone (https://api.slack.com/reference/surfaces/formatting#mentioning-users) doesn't offer this functionality for bots. 

Therefore, I believe this is a Slack limitation, that'll hopefully get resolved in future.

Thanks,

Suggest an answer