Can we restrict people editing Description field after its been approved(status in workflow)?

R July 24, 2018

Hi,

We use JIRA for change request(issue type =Change) and have a separate workflow configured. Wondering can we restrict people editing Description field after its been approved (one of the status in workflow)? Please advise.

Thanks,

Rajani

2 answers

0 votes
R July 26, 2018

Thanks Joe for your reply. I tried the same but it didn't work for me. I can still see the Description field even after approved status though I mentioned to populate the screen which doesn't have Description field. Want to mention, we have a default screen associated to the change type. is it the reason for getting description field populated  

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2018

In JIRA you can have a Create, Edit/default, and View screens. The Create screen is for the fields you want during creation time. It is often used when you don't want people who create issues to be able to edit them. That is the screen you want to put the description field on.  Do not put it on the edit/default screen. The view screen is for all the fields including the ones shown on transition screens. In the issue type screen scheme if you don't have a create or view screen the default screen is used. You'll need to build an issue type screen scheme for the issue you don't want the description field to be available. 

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 24, 2018

JIRA doesn't have field level security. There may be a plugin that does this. The only work around is to put the description field on the create screen and on a screen only shown in a transition everyone is allowed to execute up to the point it is approved. The transition would simply show the description field on the screen and go back to the same status. After it is approved put a similar transition but with a condition only certain project roles or groups can execute it. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events