Can we move default attachment path in JIRA 8.2 to external HDD

Pratik August 14, 2019

Hello, 

I am pretty much new to JIRA and have done the initial setup, now my storage space for attachment is running our and i am planning to add an external HDD to my macmini on which JIRA is configured. 

I just want to move my Jira/data/attachments onto the  new location. 

I have read few articles and tried this command:

ln -s <current path> <new path> 

Above line does create a symbolic link to my new destination, however my JIRA still shows <current path> in default ATTACHMENT path section of JIRA GUI. 

Moreover, if I upload a document it creates a copy in my <current path> and <new path> both. We I delete from current path, it gets deleted from my directory as well. 

I want it to store only on my <new path>, thats the whole reason why is created it. 
Does any one know how to resolve this?

Regards,
Pratik

1 answer

0 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 14, 2019

Atlassian has a doc for that! Note that you need to be a global System Administrator in order to make this change.

Pratik August 15, 2019

Yes, I am global system admin and I did create the symbolic link as mentioned on hat doc as well. 

However, by any chance do you know why its replicating data?

Scenario explanation:
If I upload a file, it gets uploaded at symbolic link location x/y/z and also at original location jira_home/data/attachments/ 

So my internal hdd is also getting filled along with external. Point is to free up internal by moving attachments to external hdd. 

Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2019

Why not copy the attachments to the new disk, delete the attachments in jira_home/data/attachments/ then mount the new disk at jira_home/data/attachments/ 

That is probably the easiest way to do what you want.

Suggest an answer