Can we modify the JIRA screens (Jira version 7.10.2)

chaithu kumar October 25, 2018

Is there a provision in JIRA to modify the screens user interface.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 25, 2018

Hello,

What do you mean by modifying a screen?

Hey,

I mean changing the user interface i.e., layout of the screen.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 25, 2018

Your question is too abstract. I can answer this way, there are not changes in handling Jira screen UI from 7.0

Thanks for the response.

My query is that can we change the look and feel of the screen i.e., when we create a screen we configure only the system fields and custom fields. what i was looking for is that, can we change the UI so that i can customize it according to my requirement(i.e., i can control the fields(both custom and the system fields) which should appear on the screen, and also their placement on the screen).

Hope i am clear enough.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 25, 2018

You can not control the placement of some system fields like summary, description, resolution, status and so on.

You can control the order of custom fields and add tabs to screens. 

Basically, it is the same in all 7x versions.

Can we add another skin(other interface) on top of the issue layout ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 25, 2018

No, Alexey would have mentioned that if you could.

There are a couple of Apps that claim to "skin" Jira, but they don't really allow you to rearrange things, they're mostly about the look and feel (colour, font, etc)

Nic & Alexey,

Thanks for your response. 

You mentioned before that we cannot control the placement of the some system field, does this mean this constraint only applies for few system fields and others can be controlled in terms of their placement?

And also can we control their behavior i.e., whether to show the filed or not?

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 25, 2018

You can add a tab to a screen and control the order of fields, but you can not make a field appear, for example, under the attachment web panel.

If you want to control the visibility of a field dynamically (let's say to show or hide, if another field is filled with a certain text), then you would need a plugin.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 26, 2018

The issue view is broken up into a set of panels.  You cannot re-arrange these panels, or choose what appears in them.

The way to think of what it does is:

Take the list of fields for the "view" screen you have defined and for each one, choose a place for it defined by type

• Date and time fields are put in the dates panel
  • User and group related fields go into the users panel
  • Estimate and worklog things move to the estimate panel
  • Description, links, sub-tasks and a couple of others get their own panel
  • System fields go into the "detail" panel

If a field is not one of the above, it goes in the custom field panel, in the order you've got in the view screen

Like chaithu kumar likes this
chaithu kumar October 29, 2018

Thank you very much for the detailed answer.

When you say panel , are you referring to "tab" or is it something different ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 29, 2018

No, I am talking about the panels that the screens are divided into.

chaithu kumar October 29, 2018

Got it, thank you!

One more query, is there a way to create a set of text field (basically we need two fields to be grouped together and be able to create multiple sets of this) based on the input from the previous filed.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 29, 2018
chaithu kumar November 4, 2018

Thank a lot for the response.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 4, 2018

You are welcome!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events