Can we add extra button to the default screen/Create Issue screen in JIRA?

Jayashree Shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 7, 2014

In Create Issue screen i can see "Create" button. Is there any way by which i can add extra button ? If yes how can i do so, any docs to demonstrate this?

Extra Button.png

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 7, 2014

Not without some coding.  

However, the question here though is probably more about what other button you'd want to create and why?  If you're in an issue creation process, then "cancel" and "create" are pretty much the only useful options.  If you could explain what you're trying to add, you might find one of us has a better approach that doesn't need hacking

Jayashree Shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 7, 2014

Thanks Nic. Well i can explain you with the requirement. One of our partners who use JIRA extensively for issue tracking had this request. Requirement : The workflow what we designed has a flow like this . Create -> Draft -> Registered and so on So for some of them its annoying to use this type of transition as their task is not submitted directly once they have created an issue. They need to have this extra state as "Draft" . So they would want to bypass this Draft state. So one way what i thought was to have a checkbox which will check if its direct submission or a draft submission and depending on that a post function to fast track an issue. But they came up with another option of having a button. Existing "Create" button will work normally whereas another button "Direct" which will directly move the issue to Registered once it is created. So we want to maintain the same workflow with these transitions. Either Create->Submit->Registered or Create->Registered based on the need.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 7, 2014

Thought it might be something like that. The requirement "add a button" is a huge understatement of what you want to do. It really is not that simple, as you also need to hack the entire workflow engine to enable a second create transition - Jira only has ONE create transition and that has ONE end point. Your initial solution can be done far more easily - get them to set a field for a fast-track transition listener to pick up. Another button means some serious hackery in the core of Jira.

Jayashree Shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 7, 2014

Oh thanks Nic. I had to do the analysis of this implementation of adding an extra button. Now reading your comments i feel it would be better that i stick to my old solution of having a checkbox rather than a button due to the involved complexity.

Shreya Rawal March 4, 2015

Hi Jayashree, I have a very similar requirement. I was wondering which solution you ended up implementing and if you had any additional suggestions? Thanks! Shreya

OdedMozesh April 24, 2016

Can you direct use to instructions how to add button by coding?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2016

It varies by version, and where you want the button.  In the case above, the button isn't too hard - you'll need to insert it into the createissue.jsp file.

The classes behind it are slightly harder - you'll need to rewrite a chunk of the workflow engine.  That's not something I'd try, it's a big project.

Like Graham Twine _Slm_ likes this
Shirley Jhirad April 25, 2016

Hi,

Metnioning @Oded Mozesh 
Thanks for the fast response.
I use JIRA 7.1.4 and would like to add button to the version window (for example: http://localhost:8080/projects/PLAYT/versions/10001).
I thought I should create a plugin, but currently fails to run atlas-run even on the helloworld example )-:

Shirley Jhirad April 25, 2016
Hi Nic,
Once again, mentioning @Oded Mozesh
We need the button for integration issues.
It will be used to trigger exporting data to other tool.
The data should not be sent at the creation time, but when the user decides he would like to.
The coding is not a limitation, we are aware we might need to write code and it is fine.
It might be great if you direct us to the suitable documentation.
But if it is creating plugin, the :
and
fail in the point of "atlas-run"....
So we fail to continue in this direction (working plugin example will be great..)
Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2016

Why does it have to be a button? It seems like you want to set some 'value' that triggers some external event. Wouldn't it be easier to just use a radio button or select list and allow the user to choose a value (Export - Yes / No)?

Chris

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 25, 2016

Good point - if it's not required at "create time", but "when user clicks something", it's a bit easier, as you can create an add-on that exposes something in the menu your users can click and encapsulate whatever code you need to push the data to where you want it.

Or do what Chris says if it's tied to an issue.

chaitanya prabhu July 14, 2016

Hi @Nic Brough [Adaptavist]

I have a similar requirement in which my client is asking for a button on the transition screens during the workflow. The reason is explained with the scenario of our project -->

One of the transition is 'Send Response' and when the user does it, a mail is sent to the addressed user from the configured mail handler. Sending mail is the most important process and when it is done, only one step remains. Since this is an important step, my client wants something like save and send, which is similar to updating the field and not actually moving through the transition. Would you let me know how adding an additional button work on the transition screen here? If it's too much work, then probably my client has to use 'Edit' on the issue screen to update the fields, but would rather be a long process as he would need to go the tab and find the required field as well. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Chaitanya Prabhu

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 14, 2016

Edit is the best option there - it's what it's for.  You could add transitions to handle it (with a screen with only the important fields on it) but that would be overkill and look like workflow progress.

The other option is to write an add-on to provide the extra duplicated action in the menu

chaitanya prabhu July 14, 2016

Thanks @Nic Brough [Adaptavist] for the quick response. Appreciate it mate. 

I have said the same thing about 'Edit' button to them. Although add-on seems an option, it would end up being a redundant with Edit right being there. Will try and stick with Edit only for this requirement.

Regards,

Chaitanya Prabhu

0 votes
Rahul_MG May 19, 2020

@Nic Brough [Adaptavist] I do have a requirement in the create issue page.

In the create issue page i have created some CUSTOM DATE fields (END-DATE)and a duration field.I want to calculate the end-date custom field based on the start date and duration field provided by user while creating the issue.

Is there any way i can do this via a plugin.I am able to do this in the EDIT of an issue using a plugin , but don''t know how to get control over the CREATE-ISSUE PAGE and do the calculation via a plugin.

Any possible solution as much appreciated…Thanks in Advance.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 19, 2020

This has nothing to do with the question or answers.  But use a post-function on the create transition.

Rahul_MG May 19, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- Thanks for the input.

But can you please let me know how to use the post-function on the create transition, if any documentation available could be helpful or any code snippet.

Expecting some thing like this : When the create issue  button is clicked, i want a method in the Servlet class to be invoked which which is availble in my pluggin - This method will calculate the end-date based on the start-date and duration field and save the data.

Please guide me with a possible approch

Like Anudeep Nama likes this
0 votes
john wierzchowski November 21, 2018

why not have a mandatory field like checkbox and have the workflow (if possible) or a script running on the back end force the transition. 

Suggest an answer