Can't transition between To Do and In Progress

Waynn_Lue January 9, 2019

I have a basic project in classic Jira (I migrated all my tickets from a next-gen project), but I can't seem to transition any tickets from To Do to In Progress. Here's my workflow, which should allow transitions from anything to In Progress but it doesn't seem to work.

Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 4.23.59 PM.png

2 answers

1 vote
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2019

Hi @Waynn_Lue,

The current problem is that you can't see the button that transitions from other states to In Progress?

Have you tried to check if there are any restrictions in the workflow?

cond.png

It says that they all should work:

Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 5.19.59 PM.png

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2019

How about the conditions?

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 9, 2019

First are you sure the WF shown is indeed the one associated? Can you verify by going to the detail issue view for one of the To Do issues and click on the View Workflow link by the status? Assuming it is the same workflow please recheck the inability to transition.

Yup, can verify! I went to one of the tickets, clicked View Workflow and the same one popped up. Can verify that I still can't transition between To Do and In Progress, all it lets me transition to is Blocked or Done.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 9, 2019

Unsure of cause yet but here is what I would try next.

1. Hypothesis: something is squirrelly with the issues moved from NG. Test: create new issue in the project and try transition.
  2. Hypothesis: something odd/unseen about the workflow. Test: create a dedicated transition without any restrictions from ToDo to InProgress. Publish and test. Verify you see the new transition in the issue detail view.
  3. check transition permissions - unlikely

Yeah, I tried creating new issues and it doesn't work on those. I also tried creating a new transition but it won't let me because it says it already does.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2019

Try creating a new from scratch workflow and associate. Something isn’t making sense here. Add an extra status so that when looking at the issue workflow it will be clear you are indeed using the new workflow. In the end you may have to create a new project, test to ensure it works, move a single issue, test it then move the rest.

Suggest an answer