Can jira launch an external exe and return data to the issue?

Mitch Taylor
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 14, 2019

I want to call out from a Jira issue to look up and return a name and email stored in an excel file. Is that possible?

Here is the scenario. I create an issue in jira. I fill out the location of the problem in the issue ticket. I guess I would have to submit the issue in order to create an issue id. The user would then have to dbl click an exe that launches an external app. Using the rest api that external c# app would use the issue id just created to get details from the issue. Open the excel file look up the name and email that is mapped to what was entered into the ticket. Using rest again to push those two field back into fields in the issue ticket.

However, is there a way to do this from inside of Jira. I read about web hooks but that doesn't exactly work for what I want to do. Does jira have a data store that I could use to store these name value pairs? And therefore access that data store from inside of jira?

Please help,, Thank you very much.

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 20, 2019

Hello Mitch and welcome to the Community!

This is an interesting idea to have Jira reach out to grab an external variable or field and then bring it back into Jira. Ideally, you’ll want to store the external items within a database and not an excel file to avoid corruption or unwanted edits. There are a few marketplace apps which may work for this by access data from a SQL database/table and then use said data within a custom field. Here is a preset search for Atlassian Marketplace | SQL.

Please take a look at these apps and see if any of them would work for what you’re looking for.

Additionally, having Jira remotely execute an application could be an issue as the remote application could become malicious or the file it's executing replaced with something unwanted or malicious.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Suggest an answer