Can I see where ScriptRunner for Jira is running?

Deleted user October 8, 2020

We are reviewing our licensing with Atlassian and have a number of add-on applications to our environment. The Atlassian licensing of these is tied to the number of users for the core product (ie if we license Jira for 100 users then each Jira add-on is also 100 users). Unfortunately Atlassian does not have a way to see who / which users actually use the plug in apps or if they are active.

Specifically am wondering if there is another way to see if ScriptRunner for Jira Cloud is in use somewhere? Can we somehow find scripts to see if they are active? 

We are working within our business to also identify but unfortunately this was purchased prior to our team taking over the licensing responsibility.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kristian Walker _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 8, 2020

Hi Shawn,

Thank you for your question.

I can confirm that ScriptRunner for Jira Cloud does not currently provide any functionality to see in one central place what configuration is used and below I have outlined what configuration items are provided by the plugin and how you could check to see where these are used.

1. Script Listeners: - I can confirm that you will be able to see all Script Listener Scripts which have been configured in the cloud instance by navigating to the URL of <JiraBaseURL>/plugins/servlet/ac/com.onresolve.jira.groovy.groovyrunner/script-events-admin?s=com.onresolve.jira.groovy.groovyrunner__script-events-admin
  2. Script Fragments: I can confirm that you will be able to see all Script Fragment Scripts which have been configured in the cloud instance by navigating to the URL of <JiraBaseURL>/plugins/servlet/ac/com.onresolve.jira.groovy.groovyrunner/script-fragments?s=com.onresolve.jira.groovy.groovyrunner__script-fragments.
  3. Scheduled Jobs: I can confirm that you will be able to see all Scheduled Jobs Scripts which have been configured in the cloud instance by navigating to the URL of <JiraBaseURL>/plugins/servlet/ac/com.onresolve.jira.groovy.groovyrunner/scheduled-jobs?s=com.onresolve.jira.groovy.groovyrunner__scheduled-jobs
  4. Escalation Services: I can confirm that you will be able to see all Escalation Services Scripts which have been configured in the cloud instance by navigating to the URL of <JiraBaseURL>/plugins/servlet/ac/com.onresolve.jira.groovy.groovyrunner/escalation-service?s=com.onresolve.jira.groovy.groovyrunner__escalation-service
  5. Enhanced Search Queries: I can confirm that we do not provide a way to see all enhanced search queries that have been created in one place which means that you will need to ask users what queries they have created and if they use this function.
  6. Workflow Post Functions, Conditions and Validators: I can confirm that you will be able to see where any Workflow Post Function, Conditions or Validators have been configured inside the plugin the workflows page which is located at the URL of <JiraBaseURL>/plugins/servlet/ac/com.onresolve.jira.groovy.groovyrunner/workflows?s=com.onresolve.jira.groovy.groovyrunner__workflows
  7. Scripted Fields: I can confirm that you will be able to see what Scripted have been configured inside the plugin on the scripted fields page which is located at the URL of <JiraBaseURL>/plugins/servlet/ac/com.onresolve.jira.groovy.groovyrunner/scripted-fields?s=com.onresolve.jira.groovy.groovyrunner__scripted-fields

I understand that manually checking each of these items to see where the configuration is used is frustrating but please understand that this will need to be done in order to understand what functionality provided by the ScriptRunner for Jira Cloud plugin is used inside of your instance.

I hope this information helps.

Regards,

Kristian

Deleted user October 9, 2020

Thanks. Did not know this existed. I was able to use this and didn't see anything. It wasn't major effort to do this manually for each but would really request Atlassian to find  a better way to actively manage these users / licenses - especially since they are licensed at the same level of users as the core product they are associated with. 

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2020

Hi Shawn,

Thank you for confirming that my response helped to solve your requirement.

Thanks,

Kristian

Steve Mills January 22, 2021

Do these commands work against Data Center versions?  I am getting 404 errors and I am wondering if that's because we have not implemented any such extensions.

I know we have only used the Enhanced Search Queries so far and have not developed the Workflow Post Functions etc like we had originally intended when we purchased scriptrunner as the customer base softened their requirements.

Thanks, Steve

Community Leader
Community Leader
January 22, 2021

Hi Steve,

The steps above are only valid for ScriptRunner for Jira Cloud.

For Jira data centre I would advise looking at the Script Registry which ScriptRunner for Jira Server / Data Center has.

Regards,

Kristian

0 votes
Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2020

I have a similar problem, we have a pretty large number of addons that are installed on our instance, but the people who installed them are no longer with the company and we're not entirely sure if anyone is using them for critical work, or in some cases if they were just trials we left running.

I have not been able to find any easy/accurate way to determine how much a specific addon is used, and there isn't anything in the app management section that can give you a reliable way to measure it.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2020

This is a scenario I am familiar with. Two approaches were used in the past in encounters I had - probably the second one fits for you as well so I am happy to share.

1. This is a nasty and rigorous way - I would not recommend this any further but (with some kind of announcement) you could inactivate an App temporarily testing if it had some contribution (not recommended)
  2. Spin up an exact copy of your instance (non-prod) and ask all users to check their use cases. It might need reminders for some to check all but this is a rather safe way.

Alternatively you would be required to do investigation on your own but it can be time consuming.

Cheers,
Daniel

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events