Can I restrict users from viewing a specific type of issue in their project?

djones August 5, 2021

I have a coaching project for my company and management wants to create a private issue type that can only be seen and used by users in a select group. I advised that the best way to handle sensitive work items (they are thinking like behavioral related tasks that not everyone needs visibility to in the project) would be to put these in a separate project only for those allowed to see and work on these items. But is their original request possible? Can I restrict who can view and use specific issue types in a shared project?

1 answer

3 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2021

Yes, that is possible. You have to configure issue security, you can use that to control who have access to specific issues. Have a look at Configure issue security schemes on how to set it up. You can then set a default one, and/or use automation to set the security level based on the issue type. I use it in one of my project to allow team members from outside of HR to complete onboarding/off-boarding tasks, but they do not have access to other more sensitive tasks that only HR should see.

Nicky :) August 12, 2022

Hello, 

Thank you for your help! Very useful :)

Like Mikael Sandberg likes this
Carlo Gonella August 29, 2022

Hi @Mikael Sandberg , can you give me more information on the steps to follow ? 
We use Jira Cloud. 

I have a project and create a new issue Type, called "Minute".
Now I want only the IT Team to see those issue Type.

I created the Security Scheme, and associated it to the project.
From there, I don't know and cannot find any information online on how to assigne that kind  of issue Type so that only IT Team members can see that type of issue.

Thank you,

Carlo

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 29, 2022

@Carlo Gonella You cannot limit what issue types listed when you create an issue, but what you can do is to use automation that sets the security level once the issue is created.

Carlo Gonella August 30, 2022

Thank you @Mikael Sandberg for your help. 

So I have to associate the Security Scheme to the project. 
Then I create an automation rule that set that security level ( IT team members only can see the task ) as I create the task which is of the type I want to hide to everyone else.

Is that correct ?

Thank you.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 30, 2022

@Carlo Gonella Yes, that is correct!

Suggest an answer