Best way to handle test cases in JIRA?

Vishal Gogari April 17, 2024

Hi Community,

I tried to search through this across web but couldn't find any justifying answer. How do you manage test cases in JIRA? 

Suppose I have 500 test cases for a single story, how should I do it? Do I need to create 500 subtasks in that story for each individual test case?

Also I need to show how many test cases are created for a specific story? How many of them executed successfully and how many of them failed? Is there a way to visually show this data by use of any app?

Basically for e.g.:

User story 1:

No of test cases: 100

Successfully executed: 50

Failed: 50

Pass percentage: 50%

Is there a way I can represent such data in dashboard form. Please help!

5 answers

2 votes
Noopur Varshney _AIO Tests_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 19, 2024

Hi @Vishal Gogari 

What @Dick suggested is definitely doable and an approach to use if you don't plan to use any plugins. But in the long term, this approach may not be scalable since testers may forget to write down numbers or update the relevant fields in Jira. 

A test management app will help you keep track of passes and failures and defects, all in one place, without needing to run after folks to ensure their data is timely updated.

You can try using AIO Tests. It has a very intuitive interface, zero setup for a quick start. It's a plug-and-play app.

You can create cases manually, via AI (just specify the story), as well as import via Excel and then you can run Traceability reports (Summary and Detailed) to see pass/failure %age against each story in the release.

This is a sample view of AIO Tests panel from the Jira story providing visibility from a traceability as well as execution perspective.image.png

We will be glad to give you a demo to showcase all the capabilities of AIO Tests. Please reach out to us via help@aiotests.com or book a session from our calendar

Cheers,
Noopur (AIO Team)

2 votes
Michał Kowalewski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2024

Hi @Vishal Gogari 

I think that our application QAlity Plus - Test Management for Jira might be useful for your use case. 

Our Test Cases are another type of the Jira issue with additional function of the Test Management for writing your test steps. Because of that you can create as many test cases as you want under the specific Jira Story.

Story Community.gif

What's more, the Test Cases you've already created can be easily linked to your Jira Story.

Story Community 2.gif

You can also track your Stories and linked Test Cases by using the Traceability Report. You will find there what test cases are linked, statuses of their execution and reported bugs during execution.

Story Community.png

There are many more useful features in the app. If you have any questions then go ahead and let us know here, or if you prefer, we would be happy to meet with you to present a demo - link.

Kind regards,
Michał
SolDevelo Team 

2 votes
Dick April 18, 2024

Let the tester keep track on his notebook and report the number of tests and the fails into two separate numeric custom fields. You can have a third custom field with the percentage passed. that can be filled using math expressions (standard in Jira, no need for plug-ins here).

Vishal Gogari April 18, 2024

This sounds reasonably doable. Let me try out.

Dick April 18, 2024
1 vote
Brijesh Patel April 18, 2024

Hi Vishal,

I highly recommend considering the QTM4J (QMetry Test Management for Jira) app for your test management needs. QTM4J stands out in the Atlassian ecosystem as it provides comprehensive test management capabilities, along with exceptional traceability, making it the best value-based test management app available.

With QTM4J, you'll benefit from advanced AI features including Auto Test Case Generation, Flaky Score, and AI Search. These tools are designed to enhance productivity while also reducing costs. I encourage you to schedule a quick demo with us to explore how QTM4J can improve your testing process.

Regards,
Brijesh Patel.

0 votes
Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2024

Hi @Vishal Gogari  May I know which Test Plugin are you using for Manage Test Cases ? 

Vishal Gogari April 18, 2024

No plugin. Currently team is doing in excel and uploading the same. Do you have nay preference?

Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2024

@Vishal Gogari  If you don't have any plugin, just want to show passed vs failed Percent on dashboard, then @Dick  solution works for you. 

In my organization, we are using Zephyr Scale for Test management. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events