Basic functions of JIRA missing

Timothy Wintle March 16, 2019

Hi,

So, i'm relatively new to JIRA, having come from a background of using TFS.  There are some fairly fundamental functions which I can't find in the out-of-the-box solution but I'm wondering whether I'm missing something.  The first is an easy way to export queries from JIRA to Excel and visa versa, Excel has much more powerful query functions than anything offered within JIRA.  The articles I've found discuss using a power query approach but this doesn't seem to work for me as I'm getting a 400 error whenever I try this.

The second thing I'm looking for is a really simple gadget that will simply count the number of items returned in a given query and return it to my dashboard.  This doesn't seem to me like rocket science.  Example image below of TFS panels:

Panels.png

1 answer

1 vote
JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2019

Hi Timothy,

exporting to Excel is not needed by everyone, so you might want to check this:

https://blog.deiser.com/en/seven-ways-to-export-jira-issues

A doubt that Excel has much more powerful query function than Jira. Did you get in contact with JQL by now. This is the query language which is used inside Jira to search & filter for issues & covers nearly every aspect out of the box. And if you need special functions, it's easily extendable with own scripts or apps from the marketplace.

Check https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracore/blog/2015/07/search-jira-like-a-boss-with-jql

for a starter.

You can design own dashboard with various gadgets by yourself, displaying the information shown in your screenshot.

This give you an idea:

https://www.atlassian.com/blog/jira-software/5-steps-to-build-a-killer-dashboard

Best 

JP

Timothy Wintle March 16, 2019

Hi JP, thanks for the reply.  The charts and graphs and widgetty things look lovely but on my dashboard, all I really want is very succinct numbers that immediately mean something to me, a simple "count" function in a gadget doesn't seem like something that would be hard for a developer at Atlassian to create even if it doesn't already exist.  If this were SQL it would be a simple GROUP BY and COUNT(*)., sometimes less is more.

I would think that getting the start date and end date of the current sprint for example would have been a very basic function but can' t see any way to do this despite multiple googles.

When I talk about Excel integration, I'm talking about something similar to what Microsoft offers with their Team Foundation Server, in that you can literally Export data from TFS directly to Excel and conversely publish changes and new items from Excel directly to TFS.  The fact that its built into their out of the box software configuration really does make their product very nice to use.

Any more light you can shed on this will be most welcome :-)

Thanks

Tim

JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2019

Well,

Atlassian is not Microsoft, so why should one buy an integration which is not needed by most customers (Export/Import to Excel). You can get that with several apps visiting the marketplace.

I'm pretty sure that the functions you need can be found using:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?hosting=server&product=jira&query=excel

Just a question: If TFS with Excel is so good & fits your needs, why are you changing?

Jimmy Van (GLiNTECH)
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 17, 2019

Use the Favorite Filters gadget for a simple count.

304551_fav_view

Suggest an answer