Automation for Jira throws "Unknown fields set during transition" errors in the execution log

Matthew Knatz January 21, 2022

I have set up a transition that monitors certain key fields for changes after an issue has passed a certain point in its workflow (i.e. "Requirements" field is changed after issue moves to "In Progress"). When a field change triggers the rule to run I:

1. transition the issue back in it's workflow via an established transition
    • add a comment
  2. Edit a field
  3. send an email
  4. post to a slack channel

All of this works beautifully except that the the logs tell me that the resolution cannot be set when the automation runs. I'm not setting the resolution anywhere and the transition does not set any resolutions.

Automation:

to_rt_automation.png

Log:

to_rt_automation_log.png

I'm not the first to report this issue, but I'm curious if anyone has any insight as to why it's happening

(inspiration: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Why-is-an-automation-rule-showing-quot-Unknown-fields-set-during/qaq-p/1682130?utm_source=atlcomm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mentions_reply&utm_content=topic )

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2022

Hi @Matthew Knatz 

Two possible troubleshooting you can check

If there is a transition screen to "Writing" status, make sure to include the field values which are there in screen

Next, try including the re-fetch issue data before you transition the issue to "writing" status

Let me know if the error gets resolved

Thanks,

Pramodh

Matthew Knatz January 22, 2022

@Pramodh M 

There is a comment transition screen (e.g. user can make a comment if they want to) but that's it.

The problem here is that nowhere in this transition or in this automation is a resolution set, yet every time the automation executes the transition, it throws an error about setting a resolution. I'm moving from one unresolved status to another unresolved status and setting no fields via the automation. Hence my confusion at this error.

Kind Regards-

Matt

Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2022

@Matthew Knatz

Yeah that is the reason, have the resolution unset in the transition, that should work.

Having a resolution in Workflow set at the end is good practice, and we should clear if it is on other status other than what we recognise as done 

Matthew Knatz January 24, 2022

@Pramodh M 

I hear what you're saying, but this does not account for the issue. At no point am I attempting to set a resolution via the automation. I'm transitioning the issue to a status that has no resolution from a status that has no resolution. If I set the resolution to null via the transition, I continue to receive the error. If I set the resolution as part of the resolution transition I continue to receive the error.

• set resolution in automation = error
  • set resolution in workflow post function = error

Showing a resolution setting screen at any time in a non-terminal (e.g. not Cancelled/Done/Closed) is very very bad practice so I'm left with the original ask:

When transitioning an issue via automation that does not set a resolution, an error is thrown stating that a resolution cannot be set.

Any thoughts on how to fix this, or is this a known error? If the latter, it makes the "Email owner on rule failure" virtually useless for monitoring automation execution.

Matthew Knatz February 18, 2022

@Pramodh M 

Firstly, thank you for the responses. Ultimately I was able to track down the issue:try_scrolling.png

It turns out that I should have noticed that there was more to my additional field logic than I was seeing... And Now I will gladly accept the egg on my face for not seeing this lurking under my comment:

resolution.png

I've removed the offending JSON and am no longer receiving errors from these transitions. Hopefully someone as foolish as I will see this and be able to fix their issue without the public embarrassment.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events