Automation for Jira rule will not enable

Lee Cash January 25, 2021

Hi, 

I've written a new rule (if it matters it uses regex to check the summary text of a Jira) but if it's enabled it won't save (spinning wheel) and when I disable it, while it will save my changes, I can't enable it from the dashboard. 

I click on the green button, it flashes on for a second, and then goes back to disabled. I have no idea why this is happening but it's incredibly frustrating. 

Thanks,

Lee 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Lee Cash January 25, 2021

Answering my own question here but this is more for posterity and for any other people who may encounter this issue. I would also love to hear from the developers of the app to confirm my theory! :) 

I started to rebuild the rule from scratch (as it was working at one point) and it turns out that when I added a third if/else regex check, the problem occurred. Maybe my rule became too complex and ran out of memory? My regex may also have been grossly inefficient and could have hit a timeout of some sort. I'm not sure. I've asked my JaaS admin to provide me with logs to see if anything turns up. 

I fixed it by changing ^(?!MyText).+ to ^((?!MyText).)*$ 

Both expressions look for the absence of a certain string of text at the start of the summary text. The former version, however, is problematic when added multiple times in an if/then else statement. 

Hope this helps someone! 

Lee

0 votes
stefan_wilke December 19, 2021

Doing a rule to copy a template tree I encountered same problem , with the green button not enabling the rule.
After some time the editor protested on that the summary field was empty, not sure how I managed to publish a rule with an empty summary field.
Did copy paste of {{destinationissue.summary}}, and will do that again but make sure to press enter before save.

image.png
Could enable after that.

Suggest an answer