tx

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2021

Hi Eran - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Are you using the Lite (Free) or Pro (Paid) version? 

Can you share the rule that you have created so far? 

eran vaks May 11, 2021

Hi John,

i want to add sprint number and assigned Team to each issue that linked to any parent issue, the info should be copied from parent

see attached.

thanks!!JiraAutomaiton.PNG

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2021

So you don't see the Sprint Number in your list to update? 

eran vaks May 11, 2021

i do see the sprint, i removed it to focus on one field to make it work.

we use a pre (paid) version

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2021

So which field is not showing up for you? 

eran vaks May 11, 2021

Team

eran vaks May 11, 2021

this is what i getJiraAutomaiton1.PNG

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2021

You are trying to copy it from a "Parent" issue but you haven't really established a "Parent" you just have linkages. 

You should probably create a branch associated with linked issues prior to the field update.

eran vaks May 11, 2021

can you guide me how to do so?

eran vaks May 11, 2021

i want that each issue that going to be linked to parent (bug to story | story to epic) will get the 'Team' field to be updated according to parent

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2021

Add a Branch for Linked Issues and choose the types of links you want to include.

Then move your existing Action for Edit Issue: Team under the branch. 

Then choose Copy from Destination Issue. 

eran vaks May 12, 2021

thank you!!

what is the way to take this info from parent and not destination?

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2021

Using linked issue types implies there is not a parent/child relationship.  They are just related. 

Did the above suggestion work? 

eran vaks May 17, 2021

yes, you suggestion works...

but if i want to limit the way we update issue- to be only from parent way and not from a linked way (currently if i link story to bug it takes the info from the bug)

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2021

Parent is only valid for a standard issue type like story to a sub-task issue type like Sub-task. If you created a  new sub-task type for something like Sub-task Bug or Defect or something like that, then you could get a a parent to child relationship. 

Here's what we do. If a bug/defect is found in testing, if the problem that was found keeps us from deploying the code, then we create a Defect card, which for us is a Sub-task issue type. Then we prevent any cards from moving to done if there are open sub-tasks (i.e. Defects in this case).

If the problem will not prevent the code from being deployed, then we create a Bug, which is a standard issue type and is placed in the Backlog to be fixed at a later point. 

Like eran vaks likes this
0 votes
Sagar
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2021

Hi @eran vaks Welcome to the community,

Can you please explain your requirement in brief like what action should update or set the certain value for the custom field?

This this achievable using automation rule but based on the requirement we need to use the correct trigger.

Suggest an answer