Auto assign a cloned issue from JSM into Jira

Sebastian Vanauer March 7, 2024

Dear Community, 

I have a JSM project were service request are created. 

Whenever an issue will be created, this issue will be cloned to another jira project (where the real work will be done).

When the issue is cloned to the new project I want to auto assign a specific person to this new issue. 

I tried it with AUTOMATION and JMWE but it's not working for the initial transition. 
In the later transitions it's working as expected but not in the initial transition. 

Do you guys have a solution for this problem or know why it's not working? 

I inserted a view of the automation

2024-03-07 16_47_37-Rule builder - Automation - DMG MORI NEW GNTTT - Jira und 15 weitere Seiten - Ge.png

and the JMWE (as alternative)2024-03-07 16_50_29-Transition_ Create - Jira und 16 weitere Seiten - Geschäftlich – Microsoft​ Edge.png

Thank you very much for a response :)

Sebastian

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
David Fischer
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2024

Hi @Sebastian Vanauer 

did you check that the issue is assignable to you? Once the issue is created, are you able to manually assign the issue to yourself?

Also, how is the JSM issue cloned? Manually or through some automation?

Sebastian Vanauer March 7, 2024

Hi David, 

thank you very much for you response :) 

Yes in this project we have added almost every role in the project to the "assignable users". 

I'm not shure if our use case is probably wrong? 

We intended to use a JSM project as some kind of ticket and communication pool.
And the jira project to get done the real work.

Is this a wrong way to use both softwares? :D

David Fischer
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2024

Hi @Sebastian Vanauer ,
This is a very common approach, so there is no reason why it shouldn't work. 
Again, how is the cloned ticket created?

Sebastian Vanauer March 8, 2024

Hi David. 

alright I expected I'm doing it wrong :D

When a user is opening a request from the portal: 

1. a JSM Ticket will be created in the JSM Project

2. at the same time the JSM ticket will be cloned via automation

2024-03-08 12_43_10-Rule builder - Automation - DMG MORI - MDM Data Quality - Jira - Geschäftlich – .png

This is the JSM Ticket

2024-03-08 12_49_00-[DMNGNTTT-74] Test Sebastian ttt - Jira - Geschäftlich – Microsoft​ Edge.png

This is the Jira Ticket

2024-03-08 12_49_55-[DMNGNTTT-74] Test Sebastian ttt - Jira - Geschäftlich – Microsoft​ Edge.png

Do you need more information?  :)

David Fischer
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 9, 2024

Hi @Sebastian Vanauer 

the reason why your approach doesn't work is that, in order to "clone" the JSM issue, the Automation rule first creates a new issue, and only after copies all the field values. Therefore, this is the order in which things happen:

1. A new issue is created in the destination project, with the selected issue type
  2. The "Create" transition runs on the new issue, which in turn runs the JMWE post-function, which sets the Assignee field to the desired assignee
  3. Automation then copies all field values from the JSM issue to the new issue, thus overriding the Assignee field just set by the JMWE post function

The solution is to replace the Automation rule with a Create Issue(s) post-function. This will allow you to copy all fields but also override the value of certain fields (in your case the Assignee field). You will also be able to remove the post function on the Create transition of the destination project.

Sebastian Vanauer March 11, 2024

Hi David, 

not it's working :) 

I was hoping to do everythin just with automation because it looks more transparent, and not that hided like the JMWE functions. 

Thank you very much for you help :) 

Sebastian 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events