Assigning issue automatically to a problem manager

Sigridur Harpa Hannesdottir April 25, 2018

We have a workflow for Problem management. In one transition, I have to assign the issue to a problem manager (can be various people) and the problem manager has to "approve" the problem. 

That works fine, but then when I resolve the issue I want the issue to be automatically assigned to the previous problem manager.

I was trying to do this with a post function:

"Update parameters of the Assign to role member (JMWE add -on) Funcition for this transition"

and then I select:

"Use selected assignee if changed on the transition screen 
Use the assignee selected on the transition screen if it was changed by the user or if it is on "Automatic", otherwise assign to default role member."

The problem managers do not have a specific project role that I can select, so I selected a role that include everyone (all Jira users in the company). 

Did not work as I had hoped for. The automatically assigned user is someone not defined as a problem manager, an also has not been mention in the test issue.

Do I need to have a aspecific project role for the problem manager, so that the post function will work correctly?

Can anyone help me with this.

Best regards.
Sigga

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2018

Hi @Sigridur Harpa Hannesdottir, I can't speak to the functionality of the plugin behavior you're talking about but have an alternate idea for you:

How about when you select the assignee, you automatically populate a custom field, called "Problem Manager", with the "Assignee" value?  Then, later in the workflow (at the resolution step in your case), you can copy the value of the "Problem Manager" field to the "Assignee" field.  You can use the "Copy value from field to field" post function also in the Jira Misc Workflow Extensions.  I think the Suite Utilities for Jira (JSU) plugin also has this ability.

That way, there's no need for Jira to guess who you want the issue assigned to.

Hope this helps,

Rachel Wright
Author, Jira Strategy Admin Workbook

Sigridur Harpa Hannesdottir April 27, 2018

Hi Rachel.

Thank you for your answer, this was the solution. :)

Best regards

Sigga Harpa

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events