Assign a Task to a Team as an Assignee?

Kevin Lee September 15, 2022

Under a Project, I have multiple Tasks created.  In a Task I would to like to assign to a team (I have the team set up already).  In Configuration, the Context field, "Assignee" cannot be clicked (I am the Admin) nor changed.  I googled this subject and have no luck.

Please help.  

Thank you.

Kevin

1 answer

0 votes
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2022

Hello @Kevin Lee ! Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Can you tell us if this is a team-managed project or a company-managed project?

For a Company-managed project, you need to make sure you have the Assign Users project permission enabled in the project's permission scheme.

For a team-managed project, you need to make sure you are a Member or Administrator for that project.

It is a Team managed project and I am a Admin within Administration Group.  What should I do?

Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2022

In reading your question again, Assignee is a system field that defines users.  Did you create a custom field for team definition?

Could you show a screenshot?

I am new to Jira.  I had not created a customer field before I posted.  But I just create a context field "Team Assignment."  but I did not know how to link this field to the team(s)?

jira1.PNG

Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 15, 2022

That looks like you selected your Team Assignment to be Labels.  Labels could work, but maybe you want to change to a dropdown where you can set the teams to list.  It should look something like this.

Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 12.27.00 PM.png

Kevin Lee September 16, 2022

Got it.  But how can you link "Jets" team to the people (and their email addresses) ?  I noticed your Jets and Sharks are in bold.

My options (SA, R&D, and PROD -- all of them were defined) are in regular fonts.  And I want to trigger emails to the team once I assign the task to the team.

jira2.PNG

Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 16, 2022

I usually don't associate teams with people.  If I do need to do that, then each team has its own Jira project.

If you're having multiple teams on the same Jira project, then specifying the team is going to be as a custom field (as you're doing).  If you have Advanced Roadmaps (on Jira Premium), you could set up teams for that.

To send notifications, I'd look at creating an Automation to create the email triggered by some action on the issue (probably issue creation).

The good thing about Jira is it's so flexible.  The bad thing about Jira is it's so flexible.

Kevin Lee September 16, 2022

Robert:  Got it.  Thank you so much for your help.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events