An unknown error occurred while trying to perform a search

Gauss Lee January 22, 2018

I accidentally wanna change my account name to a better name and afterwards all my jira issues and bitbucket work are gone in the issue dashboard. Then I changed back to my original username. It showed "An unknown error occurred while trying to perform a search".

Can you call me to assist me to solve this problem? I am the administrator of the company jira.

2 answers

1 vote
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 23, 2018

Hi Gauss,

Can you let me know what version of Jira and Bitbucket that you are running?

Can you confirm how you performed the change on both platforms, and that you didn't create a new user or modify your existing permissions?

Regards,

Shannon

Gauss Lee January 23, 2018

JIRA Software 7.5.2 and Bitbucket 5.5.

I did not do anything in the bitbucket. These two have been connected since I setup up both of them first time. The only thing I did is that I accidentally changed my username(admin) to another prettier name, finding out all my jira issues are gone. Then I changed it back. The issues never came back. Maybe I can call you and you can guide me step by step how I can check the problem. 

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 24, 2018

Gauss,

So can you please confirm with me the extent of the problem? Are your Jira issues only missing from Bitbucket, or are they also removed from Jira? 

I won't be able to walk you through it over the phone, but I can troubleshoot the issue on my end and let you know how to fix it on Community. Posting the result publicly lets other users see how to fix it and help in the future.

Regards,

Shannon

Gauss Lee January 24, 2018

Hi, Shannon,

The extent of the problem is pretty severe. The jira issues are missing from Jira. I tried the reindexing solution this afternoon but it did not recover completely. Now I can see the previous issues. However, if I click "show more". Suddenly all the issues gone, showing the same error I got before. 

image.png

I think reindexing might help but not solved completely.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
January 24, 2018

Hi Gauss,

I spoke with a few of the members from the Jira Server team, and they let me know that actually this could occur if you changed the name of a user to a username that used to exist for a former user.

Did you change the username itself, or the display name?

You can check the app_users table in Jira for associations of former usernames that could cause this conflict.

To verify, the issues aren't missing for other users, right? My assumption is after the change only your user is not able to view the issues?

Lastly, if you tail the Jira Server Logs when you try to perform the action from the above screenshot, can you let us know what errors are showing there?

Regards,

Shannon

Gauss Lee January 25, 2018

Hi, Shannon,

Thanks for your answer.  The issue is not happening for another user. 

The errors in the jira server log is as below:

018-01-22 11:59:40,683 StreamsCompletionService::thread-3 ERROR gausslee 719x1677x3 1mlh1in 10.0.2.2 /plugins/servlet/streams [c.a.streams.internal.LocalActivityProvider] Exception building feed
com.atlassian.jira.issue.index.SearchUnavailableException: com.atlassian.jira.util.RuntimeIOException: java.io.IOException: read past EOF
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.index.SearcherCache.retrieveEntitySearcher(SearcherCache.java:45)
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.index.DefaultIssueSearcherFactory.getEntitySearcher(DefaultIssueSearcherFactory.java:25)
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.index.DefaultIndexManager.getEntitySearcher(DefaultIndexManager.java:881)
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.index.DefaultIndexManager.getIssueSearcher(DefaultIndexManager.java:858)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor492.invoke(Unknown Source)
... 1 filtered
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at com.atlassian.jira.config.component.SwitchingInvocationHandler.invoke(SwitchingInvocationHandler.java:22)
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy12.getIssueSearcher(Unknown Source)
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.search.SearchProviderFactoryImpl.getSearcher(SearchProviderFactoryImpl.java:18)
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.search.providers.LuceneSearchProvider.getIssueSearcher(LuceneSearchProvider.java:148)
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.search.providers.LuceneSearchProvider.searchDocuments(LuceneSearchProvider.java:422)
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.search.providers.LuceneSearchProvider.runSearch(LuceneSearchProvider.java:406)
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.search.providers.LuceneSearchProvider.getHits(LuceneSearchProvider.java:210)
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.search.providers.LuceneSearchProvider.search(LuceneSearchProvider.java:297)
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.search.providers.LuceneSearchProvider.search(LuceneSearchProvider.java:109)
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.search.providers.LuceneSearchProvider.search(LuceneSearchProvider.java:105)

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
January 25, 2018

Thank you, Gauss!

Can you please review the article below and the workarounds suggested? 

Do you have any updates on my previous suggestions? 

Regards,

Shannon

chandler January 23, 2019

Hi Shannnon,

We have a similar error. under System Dashboard all the users see this error - "An unknown error occurred while trying to perform a search" . None of the users are able to access Jira. Any ideas or suggestions why it affected all the users !!!

Thank you for your help.

Chandler

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
January 24, 2019

Hi Chandler,

Are you also missing issues, or you are only getting the search error?

Could you tell me what errors you see in your server logs, and your version of Jira? Have you run a full reindex?

Regards,

Shannon

chandler February 11, 2019

Hi Shannon,

Thank you for the reply. Sorry i Missed your Conversation.  Yes none of the users were able to see any projects or Issues. We are using Jira version 7.10. Yes Full re-indexing is done.

Thank you,

Chandler.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
February 21, 2019

Chandler,

Apologies for the delay, as I was out of town.

If a re-index didn't fix the issue, then you might want to reach out to the support team. They can have a look at your logs and see what else the problem might be.

Let me know if you need any help with that.

Regards,

Shannon

chandler March 3, 2019

Hi Shannon,

Thank you. I sent all the log files for atlassian. They were not able to find what caused it so far.

Thank you,

Chandler 

0 votes
Stanley Shen February 21, 2019

Hi Shannnon,

I have a similar error too, not only one user, but also all users are the same situation

Stanley Shen February 21, 2019

After  Full re-index, the issue was fixed.

for detail, pls refer to:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/unable-to-rebuild-jira-application-indexes-228623566.html

Like Shannon S likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
February 21, 2019

Stanley,

Thank you for letting us know you were able to resolve the issue.

Take care,

Shannon

Shivam Pandey November 8, 2022

Same issue, any help?

Screenshot_38.png

Suggest an answer