Admin User Name and Password unknown

Tech_Support March 26, 2020

I have a new community license for JIRA.  On my local server I opened the JIRA license page in my web browser to correct the problem of the old license key.  I pasted it in the correct spot, however, it is asking me for an admin user name and password.  I have tried the MyAtlassian user name and password, the DB user name and password, and the local machine admin user name and password.  Is there a way to reset the admin user name and password to finish my JIRA installation?

Our old admin left with no documentation and refuses all contact.

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Vinnie Chhabra February 15, 2022

I'm having the same issue - just upgraded from Jira v8.4.3 to v.8.13.17 and now it's complaining that our license key doesn't support the 8.13.17 version.  

0 votes
Evan Underwood-Harley
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2020

You can enable recovery mode which will allow you to login as the recovery_admin user.

You set the password by editing <installation-directory>/bin/setenv.sh 

And add the below to the JVM_SUPPORT_RECOMMENDED_ARGS argument:

JVM_SUPPORT_RECOMMENDED_ARGS=-Datlassian.recovery.password=<your-password>

See the below link for more details:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/restore-passwords-to-recover-admin-user-rights-972329273.html

We are running it on windows, so I want to check if I should still edit the .sh or should I edit the .bat instead?

Evan Underwood-Harley
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2020

If it's windows edit the .bat file.

If Jira is running as a service in windows, you will need to stop Jira and start Jira with the start-jira.bat file or the changes won't have an affect.

Still getting the same error of user name or password is incorrect

Evan Underwood-Harley
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 26, 2020

Were you able to login with the recovery_admin account at the initial log in page? Or is this error on the first login?

Some screenshots might help so I can see where you are getting the problem.

This is only on the local server page to update the license key.Capture.PNG

Evan Underwood-Harley
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 26, 2020

And using the credentials 

Username: recovery_admin

Password: <whatever you set in setenv.bat>

Still gave incorrect username and password?

Are you able to login with recovery_admin and grant yourself system administrator rights on your account and try again? Or is this license prompt the first screen you get when loading Jira?

the first prompt I get is that there is a JIRA error that the license is too old for our current version.  I click the here link to change it and I get the screen in the previous screen shot.  The recovery_admin and new password do still give me the error

Evan Underwood-Harley
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 26, 2020

Okay, the other option you have is to update the license directly in the database.

What version of Jira are you using? And what database / version?

JIRA 7.2.1 and MySQL 5.6

Evan Underwood-Harley
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 26, 2020

Do you have a test environment to test this on before hand?

Strongly recommend you take a backup of the database before you make any changes directly in the database:

Find the license ID:

SELECT * FROM productlicense;

Update the license key:

update productlicense set license ='<your_new_license_key_here>' WHERE id= <id_from_the_first_query;

Regards

Evan

Tech_Support March 30, 2020

new jira error.PNGthis is what I get now - I posted on Thursday, but it apparently didn't go through...

Evan Underwood-Harley
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 30, 2020

So did this occur after doing the SQL commands I posted?

This looks like someone has tried to upgrade Jira, than update the license.

Can you supply a copy of the atlassian-jira.log please?

Yes, this was after the SQL command.  This is how JIRA support had me do it.  How do you want it uploaded?  It is 13,000 kb

Evan Underwood-Harley
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 30, 2020

If you restart Jira, you can copy and paste from the log where it fails to start

it will not upload, too big?

Evan Underwood-Harley
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 31, 2020

You can't upload attachment files onto the community. You could however screenshot the logs, just where the error occurs and upload the images and I will take a look.

Tech_Support March 31, 2020

There are multiple errors through out the cleared log for just yesterday's reboot.  I can try multiple screenshots in multiple replies.

Evan Underwood-Harley
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 31, 2020

I'm mainly interested in the errors immediately after the reboot

These all are...

Evan Underwood-Harley
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 31, 2020

Okay lets just see the first few and go from there.

I take it this instance of Jira was upgraded previously, then didn't start due to the license not been valid for the upgraded version? And now we have got past the license issue, we are seeing the upgrade was not successful.

Can you tell me what the previous version of Jira was and what the upgraded version is?

error1.PNGerror2.PNG

Evan Underwood-Harley
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 31, 2020

Thanks - Can you share your dbconfig.xml file please?

(Note - replace all user names / password / hostnames with dummy values)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8_bin"?>

<jira-database-config>
<name>defaultDS</name>
<delegator-name>default</delegator-name>
<database-type>mysql</database-type>
<schema-name>jiradb</schema-name>
<jdbc-datasource>
<url>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/jiradb?useUnicode=true&amp;characterEncoding=UTF8&amp;sessionVariables=default_storage_engine=InnoDB</url>
<driver-class>com.mysql.jdbc.Driver</driver-class>
<username>root</username>
<password>H33w@ck</password>
<pool-min-size>20</pool-min-size>
<pool-max-size>20</pool-max-size>
<pool-max-wait>30000</pool-max-wait>
<min-evictable-idle-time-millis>4000</min-evictable-idle-time-millis>
<time-between-eviction-runs-millis>5000</time-between-eviction-runs-millis>
<pool-max-idle>20</pool-max-idle>
<pool-remove-abandoned>true</pool-remove-abandoned>
<pool-remove-abandoned-timeout>300</pool-remove-abandoned-timeout>
</jdbc-datasource>
</jira-database-config>

Evan Underwood-Harley
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 31, 2020

From your dbconfig.xml remove the following line (take a copy of the file first)

<schema-name>jiradb</schema-name>

Then restart Jira.

That has us up and running, but we have lost our user data.  Where do we go from here to get our data back in the db?

Evan Underwood-Harley
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 31, 2020

What's missing? Does Jira think this is a new install of Jira?

How was the upgrade originally performed?

The change I recommended previously would only fix a known issue when using MySQL and would not cause any data loss - https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/jira-throws-table-already-exist-error-due-to-incorrect-mysql-schema-338364885.html

This is my first time administrating JIRA, so I honestly don't know.  I did a select * from userbase; to see users, but everything came up null.  Is that not the user table by chance?  I'm trying to figure this all out.  We had a linux instance, but it kept crashing and our old admin who supported Linux left.  I had to take over so we moved to a windows instance with an upgrade to JIRA as far as we could with mySQL 5.6.  Hope this sort of answers your question.

Evan Underwood-Harley
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 31, 2020

Okay this could take some time over here..... Are you able to setup any sort of online meeting I can join and lets discuss what you've got and what your options are?

sure.  where should I send the link?  In a reply here?  And what time is convenient for you? 

Evan Underwood-Harley
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 31, 2020

You can post the link here. I am available now if that works for you

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events