Adding icons to custome fields

Janine Daniels April 10, 2019

Hi all. I know ive done this in the past, but I feel like perhaps this is no longer a function? I have two custom fields, severity and priority, which have the entries Low, Minor Major, Critical and Blocker. The default priorities field in JIRA has icons in it and displays that icon in the list/database view for easy recognition. When I set up these two new custom fields so I could add my own terms in, I cannot see an option to add in an icon, just add new value or move position in the list. Can anyone help with this? The only discussions ive found so far are very very out of date.

2 answers

1 vote
Michael Handl March 15, 2022

Hi,

to add symbols to custom fields, for me the windows symbols did it.

--> Go to your custom field and press "WindowsKey + ." to insert a symbol.

Hope it helps,

Michael

image.png

Melissa Lawrence May 22, 2022

Thank you! That worked for me, I now have RAG status icons rag.PNG

Ram March 26, 2024

Hi @Melissa Lawrence @Michael Handl 

Can you please let me know what type of field have to be created for these icons?

We are trying to show exactly like your "RAG status" field.

I tried with Rich text field with the icon as default option but it didn't work as the default option is not showing up. 

Can you please advise?

Thanks,

R

Melissa Lawrence March 26, 2024

Hi - I just used a standard dropdown field, with text - did you use the windows shortcut noted by Michael above? I just tried it again with a new dropdown with risk categories, and was able to add the icons that way by using the windows shortcut keys then typing the relevant text after the icon.

I've done this in on-prem and in cloud, both team-managed and company-managed, so it seems like it should work for most cases. The only thing we did find was that randomly some people didn't seem to have the libraries necessary to display the icons on their laptops, but it worked for most users. 

Ram March 26, 2024

Thank you @Melissa Lawrence 

I will try and update, thanks again for taking the time.

Thanks,

R

Michael Handl March 26, 2024

Hi @Ram I had the same standard dropdown field which Melissa mentioned. For me it's working on Cloud.

1 vote
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 16, 2019

Hi Janine,

The option to add icons to options for custom fields is not currently available for Jira.
We had a feature request for Jira Server suggesting this, but it got opened for almost 8 years with zero votes.

If you need to add more priorities, it's possible to add and edit the system priorities.
Please, go to Jira Settings > Issues > Priorities.

Screenshot 2019-04-16_16-56-10.png

For Severity, it won't be able to change because it's a custom field.

Hope it helps!

Regards,
Angélica

Steve Maccharoli October 22, 2019

@Angélica Luz Is there any way to get that feature request re-opened to see if can get some traction on it?

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 23, 2019

Hi Steve,

As the feature was old, it's not recommended to reopen it. Instead, we can create a new one.

Feel free to raise one on jira.atlassian.com (project JRACLOUD) adding more details about why this feature is important for your environment or post here and I'll create the feature.

Regards,
Angélica

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
November 4, 2019

Hi @Janine Daniels and @Steve Maccharoli,

Just to give you an update, I found a feature request suggesting the ability to customize colors and icons for custom fields:

Please, click to vote and watch to receive updates.

Regards,
Angélica

Like Krissy Brickenden likes this
Steve Maccharoli November 4, 2019

Hi @Angélica Luz

Thanks for the head's up.  I've voted for the issue, and added myself as a Watcher

Like Angélica Luz likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events