Adding a user to Roles field does not give them Administrator capability

Nari Man
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2015

I have a project A, where I add a user to the Roles field as admin. The user does not get admin access to that projects. 

I add the same user to another project B and he has Admin access to that project. 

Project A and B use the same Permission scheme. 

I can not explain this at all. What is going on? Anyone who can help?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2015

This is probably a case of checking carefully.  Go into project A, and find its config screen.  Find the permissions bit and open it up from there, so you can check what the rules for "Project Admin" say.  I'm doing it this way because it guarantees that you land on the permission scheme it is definitely using.

Now, note down the rule for admin (does it say "Role: Admin" for example?).  Now go back to the project admin screen and descend into the Users and Roles section to re-check that your user definitely meets the rule (Assuming it was a role based one)

Nari Man
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2015

Do you mean that in the Administer Project section I need to have "Project Role (Administrators)"? Until now I only have the "JIRA-Admin" Group. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 19, 2015

I'm not sure what you are saying there. What you need to look at is the line that says "Administer project". What does it say next to it?

Nari Man
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 19, 2015

It says jira-admin.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 19, 2015

No, it does not. It says more than that. Could you give us everything it says there.

Nari Man
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 19, 2015

Screenshot 2015-02-19 10.00.40.png

Nari Man
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 19, 2015

Added the screenshot.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 19, 2015

Right, so it says "Group: jira-administrators" and "group: jira-scrummasters" That means you are not using roles at all for this permission. You're using groups. Forget the roles and add the user into the right groups.

Nari Man
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 19, 2015

I added the Project Admin role in the Administer Project section and it solved the problem. thanks

Suggest an answer