Adding a "blocked" column to a board

Daniel Nygaard February 19, 2019

I'm attempting to add a blocked column for a board.

I want any issue in the board to automatically transistion to the blocked column when the "blocked by" property is set on the issue.

Also - nobody should be able to add an issue to the column manually (without setting the "blocked by" property)

Is this possible? I played a little around with transitions and triggers, but it seems a little confusing to me

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 19, 2019

You'll need to do several things, some of which require Apps that can do automation/scripting.

• Add a "Blocked" status to the workflow
  • Add a "Blocked" column, and map the blocked status into it
  • Write and add post-functions on to the transitions into the blocked status that set the blocked property
  • Write and dd post-functions on to transitions out of the blocked status that clear the property
  • Write a Listener that can listen for "issue updated" and check the property change and issue the appropriate transition in or out of the status

Personally though, I'd treat the status as the property, then you don't need any code.

0 votes
Victor Mutambuki
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2019

Daniel,

Make sure your workflow also has the blocked status.

Victor

Craig Cockburn October 2, 2020

The use of "blocked" in a workflow is generally not needed. The flagged function does this.

Jira should have a warning when someone attempts to create a state with the word block in it that refers them to the flagged functionality.

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
Iuri Pereira February 11, 2021

Flagged functionality could be used for different reasons. JIRA supoort said that the goal is to flag *important* issues. Could be ones that are blocked or ones that should be addressed right away.

For more information about flag function:
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/flag-an-issue/

Like Aileen Fernandez likes this
Craig Cockburn June 3, 2021

The help is misleading and badly written. You still don't need a blocked state, see any good reference on kanban.

If you implement a blocked state it generally causes a lot of pain.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer