Activate LDAP user results in an Exception - What can I do?

Jeroen van de Hoef
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 4, 2018

The person was a former employee in 2016. Had an JIRA account, which is now inactive. 

Person came back, get's the same username in LDAP. Tries to reset password and does not get anywhere. True because the user is inactive in JIRA. 

But... when I try to set it active or try to edit the email address, an exception is thrown. What am I doing wrong?

Technical details

Log's referral number: dfb4b592-18ee-446b-987a-08e5c4566627

Cause

Referer URL: http://***/secure/admin/user/UserBrowser.jspa

com.atlassian.crowd.exception.runtime.UserNotFoundException: User <***> does not exist

1 answer

0 votes
Amith Mathur {Appfire}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2018

Hi @Jeroen van de Hoef

If you are able to see the old username in JIRA then you should be able to activate the user.  You need to have only one username and you cannot create another similar username. 

The best way is to activate the same old username, so that the history will be retained.  However, you can also create a new user account with new user name.

If none works then you should be able to activate the user from the JIRA database as well. 

update cwd_user SET active=1 where user_name ="username";

If this does not work, provide the complete error log. 

Thanks,
Amith Mathur 

Jeroen van de Hoef
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 4, 2018

Thanks Amith for your reply!

I will try the DB update statement, the username in JIRA still exists and it is the same as the LDAP, so I think it should work.

Thanks again!

Suggest an answer