Worst Jira Admin Contest: Unexpected Status Rename

Mistake 9

44f12eef-a3dc-4fb0-9bd2-6741f8360b24.png

I know I’m not the only one who’s made this mistake! I once changed a status in the “diagram” workflow editor. I thought I was swapping one status for another and that the change would only apply to that one workflow. Instead, I changed the name of the original status in all of Jira! The status name change was immediate; I hadn’t even published the workflow change yet!

Users alerted me to the problem when their workflows stopped working properly and their filters broke. Total chaos!

Instead, always remove and re-add a workflow status. Never attempt to swap or change a status name using the grey “Edit” button shown in the screenshot above.

Back to intro and mistakes list

2 comments

Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 7, 2023

This is hard.

If instead of renaming, you create a new status with slightly different meaning, then you may end in having lots of "similar" statuses. Which may be another type of problem.

For example, Atlassian's own public Jira has almost 100 statuses... 

-CONFCLOUD-76411-Not-Possible-to-Create-Retrieve-Footer-Comments-on-Attachments-in-V2-API-Create-and-track-feature-requests-for-Atlassian-products-.png

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2023

Yes, this is confusing. I wish the workflow editor did not allow changing status names in this way. I guess I use the text editor more than the graphical editor, so I haven't been bitten recently by this. Anythng that leads to near-duplicate object names in Jira is an accident waiting to happen!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events