Upcoming - Rename ‘epics’ in your company-managed projects

212 comments

Ondřej Medek June 28, 2023

Regarding the state of Jira changes, I use Cloud https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/blog then click the first link Atlassian Cloud changes ... to ... and then search for the change:

Changes to epic fields in company-managed projects
ROLLING OUT

So, I see that's is still rolling out - that means some cloud sites may have the feature, while some others may not have it yet. Unfortunately, there's no date when rolling out will finish.

Stepan Kharchenko
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 4, 2023

“As you will no doubt be aware, the plans for development of the outlying regions of the Galaxy require the building of a hyperstpatial express route through your star system, and regrettably your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition. The process will take slightly less than two of your Earth minutes. Thank you.

There’s no point in acting all surprised about it. All the planning charts and demolition orders have been on display in your local planning department in Alpha Centauri for fifty of your Earth years, so you’ve had plenty of time to lodge any formal complaint and it’s far too late to start making a fuss about it now.”

From all of the above, I conclude that Atlassian was founded by the Vogons...

This is the most logical explanation for all that we have...

Like # people like this
Colton_Kosicek July 19, 2023

When is the "EPIC LINK" To parent change happening? This field remaining on my newly named "FEATURES" is creating a lot of noise - i sent a helpdesk ticket in but yet to hear a response.

It would be great to create a help document for what needs to change when you do this "renaming" Epics activity at a company.

Example: all of your filters will break if they contain issuetype = epic because it is hardcoded by the words and doesn't use a backend technical ID for the issuetype.  We had to recreate 400+ filters and 100+ filters for initiatives.

Kerli Loopman August 16, 2023

I do have some clients who would like to rename Epic to something else but I need this to be present only in one project (company-managed). I tried to create an extra issue type, that has the same level that Epic does and added this to the project but then it says "You don't have any Epics configured" when I am trying to see the timeline. 

Is there any way to accomplish this or is this something that is considered in future?

Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2023

@Kerli Loopman have you added the Epic link field to your Alt Epic issue type and used it in the chosen project? Wondering if that might convince the project that there is an issue type at that level and then display the timeline view.

Disclaimer, this is just a thought, I haven't tried it as such. 

Kerli Loopman August 22, 2023

@Curt Holley I just tried it and I cant even choose this issue (newly created level 1 issue type test-issue in project) in the epic link field. 

I have an extra issue type with level 1 (same as epic) and this project has one test issue with this type but it acts as level 0 issue (task). I created another test issue with 0 level issuetype and tried to add epic link but it doesn't show the one I created for testing with level 1. 

Daniel Capizzi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 22, 2023

Hi @Kerli Loopman,

The hierarchy configuration for company managed projects is site wide, so unfortunately it's not possible to rename the epic level for only one project. There are two issues you're running into here at the moment.

1. Epic Level vs. Epic Issue Type:
On your site you can rename both the epic hierarchy level and the epic issue type. The name that you give to the hierarchy level is what you'll start seeing in most places around the product, such as in the Epic Panel.

The new name will be applied to all of your company managed project and at the moment we don't have any plans to change this behaviour.

2. Managed Epic Issue Type vs. Level One Issue Types:
All Jira Software instances come with an Epic issue type on hierarchy level one, and on a premium license it's also possible to add additional issue types to hierarchy level one. 

The Epic issue type that your site comes with is treated specially though - one of the key differences is that you use the "Epic Link" field for the Epic issue type, but you use the "Parent Link" field for any other issue types that you've put on hierarchy level one. Fortunately this won't be the case for much longer though, as we'll soon be replacing the existing "Epic Link" and "Parent Link" fields with a single "Parent" field which can be used for everything.

We totally understand this is a confusing experience, which is why we're working hard at the moment to get these concepts unified. I hope this helps clarify things, but of course feel let me know if you have any questions!

Cheers,

Daniel

Like Debbie Jolley likes this
S_ Francoeur August 29, 2023

Hi Atlassians. Currenly, the Jira Filter macro in a Confluence page renders the Epic Link column cells as the Epic Name of the parent Epic, in ALL CAPS in a (clickable) lozenge.

Is it safe to assume that the Epic Link (and/or its Parent equivalent announced in Introducing the new Parent field in company-managed projects) will switch to displaying the Epic's Summary field in this Confluence macro?

Also, will the unwanted CAPITALIZATION be removed by the same occasion?

Refs:

Thank you!

PS: Please forgive me if I happened to miss the answer in the 9 pages of previous comments. ;-)

Ping Ma
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 3, 2023

Hello, it looks like the Epic Name field remains required and Locked despite it now being redundant. Is it not supposed to be optional now?

Daniel Capizzi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 3, 2023

Hi @Ping Ma - welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You're correct, it is supposed to be optional now so it sounds like something has gone wrong there unfortunately.

We'll definitely be able to get this fixed up for you though - could you please raise a support request with us at https://support.atlassian.com/contact/? This will allow us to properlty take a look at what's going on and switch the Epic Name field back to being not required for your instance.

Cheers,

Daniel

Like Ping Ma likes this
David Vincent October 19, 2023

Hi,

I'm really looking forward to using this feature. Can you give us a precise date for the release?

Florent Baret January 9, 2024

@Rohan Swami now Epic is renamable and that Parent field replace Epiclink/Parentlink, do you plan to adapt "Epic" Panels (and other "Epic" features like lozenges) to all other custom issue types of the same "Epic" level (1) ?

For example if we configure both "Epic" and "Feature" at Epic level, I expect to benefit the "Epic" panel for features

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events