Two ways we’re simplifying how to create projects in Jira

140 comments

Eric Leventhal Arthen April 1, 2021

I am very happy with the NG / Team Managed projects. 

There is not much I miss from the Classic projects, and it is much easier to adjust them and event to understand how they work.

From the article I saw in an earlier comment about how to migrate between project types, this is very helpful and detailed, although it shows how much of a major disconnect there are between these two kinds of projects. Hopefully can make this smoother so you don't loose data converting.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/migrate-from-an-agility-project-to-a-classic-project-957974933.html

John Price
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2021

@Bree Davies the new names are much better.  Administrative improvements to CMPs are going to be a huge one for us.  We have large Cloud and Data Center sites and managing fields, workflows, etc. in a large org is ... hoo boy.  Will especially be looking to see the answer to "How can TMPs create config items (fields, workflows, etc) without polluting the CMP admin screens?"

Andrew Saxsma April 1, 2021

Hi Bree, is "Share settings with an existing project" going away?

Charles Howes April 1, 2021

I'm just hoping that Jira pages load quicker.  :-)

Nikos Dimitrakopoulos April 2, 2021

You are definitely in the wrong direction...

:| 

Angus Mezick April 2, 2021

Will projects be able to switch between these two modes?

KANHAIYA Maya April 2, 2021

NICE

Craig Harper April 2, 2021

Next-gen is not going to be fixed by renaming it. I have yet to see why or how to really use Next-gen.

Kimball Johnson April 2, 2021

As they say in Washington: Lipstick on a pig.

Like Darren Aitcheson likes this
Kimball Johnson April 3, 2021

Lipstick on a pig!

Everything you guys do is under-engineered.

Stop cooking up new ways to rearrange and taped together your over-leveraged data infrastructure and rebuild, upgrade, and re-design it so that the feature set consists of top-notch, well-architected, cloud native code.

Then you'll have a foundation for well-designed and effective features and not have to hype a half-imagined solution that promises change but not progress toward better, cleaner, leaner, operations and not mashups that are just called integrations.

Like Darren Aitcheson likes this
sachinthakur2402 April 3, 2021

Thanks for sharing this update!

Jimi Wikman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2021

That is a good distinction.

I will still consider them controlled and rogue, but team and company managed works as well ;)

Like # people like this
Santiago E. Jiménez Sánchez April 5, 2021

Oh, Thank you.  

Emre Bodur April 5, 2021

With this Release, is it also possible to create classic projects with defined schemes from API? We have connected our ERP System with Jira Cloud and this would help so much.

Jeffrey.Knaack April 5, 2021

Makes a lot of sense, although working on a next-gen project made the not-so-cutting-edge work that I'm doing there sound so cool.

MikeB April 5, 2021

Will Advanced Roadmaps be available in Team-Managed Projects any time soon? The process to convert to classic doesn't work for ours.

Sanjeevi Kumar V April 6, 2021

Thanks for sharing Bree!

pboling April 6, 2021

Thanks so much for *fixing* the names.  The previous names were *bugs*.

All the assumptions I made upon hearing them were incorrect.  It took hours of research to understand that what I needed was the company managed projects (previously the very misleading "classic") and that I wasn't giving up any functionality by so choosing.

In fact I was losing functionality that I needed, as well as wasting much time, by creating a team managed ("next-gen") project.

Next time please think about names a bit more.  Naming is hard, and it matters a lot, and this has been a disaster.

Mike Hayes April 6, 2021

I like the new names.

Jeanne Howe April 7, 2021

So, creating a project just went from a 2 step process to a 4 step process. How is this improvement?

Chris April 7, 2021

Great news. I'm really looking forward to being able to select a template. The development of Jira over the last couple of years has been fantastic. Well done.

Slightly off topic but while we are on the subject of simplified naming one thing that has got me totally confused is "Workflows" and "Workflow Schemes". I understand the concept of a Workflow, but I am totally lost when it comes to "Workflow Schemes." (And I have been using Jira for over ten years now.)

G April 8, 2021

@Chris schemes are the grouping of multiple configuration items that you actually point to a project (in what is now consider the "company managed" project type).  They are the backbone of Jira and make it very powerful.

So, for example, with Workflow Schemes, you may have one scheme with 20 different workflows (each one for a separate issue type) and you use that in one particular project that has all of those issue types.  Then you might have another Workflow Scheme that has only two workflows with each one shared by many issue types and you use that scheme in three projects that have those issue types.  The schemes allow for easy customization where you have certain use-cases that need to apply broadly and you want any ongoing updates to apply everywhere at the moment of the change.  And then you have other schemes that are very particular to one use-case and should only affect a single issue type in a single project.  You can also make a Test Scheme and apply it to a Test project to test on issues, then when ready for Prod, you point that scheme to your Production project.

Maybe you have been using "Team Managed" projects and since they are very basic and do not allow sharing of configurations, you have not needed the schemes in a while.  Some Admins asked for a way to let Project Admins control the full configuration of their project without giving them full Jira Administration... and voila, "Team Managed" projects.  I personally would have preferred more bug fixes and features that are needed instead, but there are some use-cases that these basic projects help with.

ambujp April 8, 2021

Just curious, are these changes already in production? 

@Bree Davies 

John Price
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 9, 2021

R.e. schemes, this might help in visualizing. It's for screens (not workflows) - screens have yet another layer of "nesting".  I created this for our internal docs but there's no company info in it:

Corp Jira Reusable Schemes.jpg

Like Alex Janes likes this
John Bakker April 11, 2021

Thanks Bree and team.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events