Two ways we’re simplifying how to create projects in Jira

140 comments

Tapiwa Samkange March 29, 2021

Loving the clarity! Thanks @Bree Davies & all the folks at Atlassian!

Jen Elam March 29, 2021

@Bree Davies Can TMP be restricted to using existing fields, statuses, etc.?  It creates a huge mess when people create status and fields that are very similar to existing statuses and fields for example:  In Progress and In Process or Business Justification and Business Reason.  I find they mostly do this because they don't realize something is already out there.

As a part-time Jira admin, I am not excited about this change.  When it was originally rolled out, we ended up with several "projects" that should have just been issues.  At least one project that was created that should have been matching workflows, etc. for existing projects that we still haven't taken the time to clean up because "Jira admin" is not my actual job.  I'm pretty sure this was intended to make less work for Jira admins, but so far, it's been nothing but a headache.

Like # people like this
Ezequiel I. Santos
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 29, 2021

next improve, please (if it exists, at least be easier to find and parameterize)!!! When start a sub task, change the status of iten dad to IN PROGRESS (or another, it depend of your workflow)...

tks and blessings...

Ethan V. March 29, 2021

Okay, I can get onboard with this new naming scheme. I keep having to tell people here to NOT use next-gen projects because they're crap and they ignore me and get 4 months into the project before realizing they should have used a classic project as I suggested. Now, I am trying to figure out how to transfer a next-gen project into a classic project. 

Could you come up with a method of converting a next-gen project to a classic project?

Like # people like this
Ethan V. March 29, 2021

Also, please do not force us to use the new Jira view, it's freakin terrible. Just leave us the option to use the classic ticket view style.

Shaye Murray
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 29, 2021

This is such a smart and seemingly simple change; I really think it goes a long way to future proofing the distinction... Thanks for all your hard work :-)

Allen Filson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 29, 2021

Really, Really need issue specific workflows enabled in the 'team managed' projects (like we can do in 'company managed',.. )  Have not seen that on the roadmap,.. any ETA?

Like bwhiteman likes this
Carlos DaLomba
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 29, 2021

This is great to hear!

I was confused because I thought "Next Generation" would be more flexible and have more features, not the reverse -- so I ended up needing to delete the project and move to a "Classic" project which felt like I was starting in deprecated land, haha (scary!).

With that, I'm really hoping we can change templates, turn on/off features, etc. -- so we no longer can get stuck in a project that can't do something that another could, and have to start over.

In that sense, it is still confusing that they're 2 project types.
I hope instead, they're just 2 starting points of the same 1 project type.
I hope that makes sense. :)

Like # people like this
Ethan V. March 29, 2021

Carlos, exactly. The biggest damn problem is that you're stuck with that next-gen project and there's no method of evolving it to a classic projects with the entirety of the features.

Like # people like this
Christian@Brinqa
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 29, 2021

Why didn't you guys rename "Next-Gen" projects to "Crappy Projects With Greatly Reduced Configuration"?  Jeez, the months I'm sure it took you guys to come up with new names would have been better-spent improving the usability of Next-G^H^H^H^H^H^HTeam-Managed Projects.

LOL I just noticed that after making a comment, there's no 1-click way to get back to the article.  Good to know that the same commitment to usability exists between your Atlassian Community site devs and your Jira devs.  Loving the parity!!

Like # people like this
Ethan V. March 29, 2021

LOL, spot on Christian.

It's just developer churn. Exactly the same reason they pushed out the awful Jira Cloud view that we were stuck with for years and then roll out a "brand new look" reverting back to classic Jira.

Christian@Brinqa
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 29, 2021

Hahaha thanks, Ethan.  To your point, while I was trying to search my way back to the "renaming" article I noticed another article titled "Could Cloud Get Any Better?".  Why yes, yes it could.

:-) 

Like G likes this
Jeff Schumacher
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 29, 2021

Not going to lie, this "renaming" honestly feel like Atlassian gave up on NG replacing Classic projects.  I mean it was called "Next-Gen" for a reason, right?

Mike Harvey March 29, 2021

While I do think the renaming will reduce confusion for users who are not aware of the distinction between the two project types, that's where the value ends for me. So a few value opportunities that would help us a lot:

1. A single reusable configurable template for Next-Gen/TMP would really go a long way for the less complex projects and standardize the way we do things across teams rather than the "from scratch" approach. Flexibility at the team level is nice in principle but in practice causes confusion, especially when rolling up reporting, and for people who work on multiple projects. 

2. Ultimately, one project type that can start simple and offer opt-in-out of features to get to right set of features needed is the way to go and would eliminate the need to migrate from TMP to CMP.

IMO, the rest is just "bandaids on the boo-boo" and not "strategic" at all.

Like # people like this
Lachlan Macnish March 29, 2021

Next-gen gave the impression that it would supersede the Classic projects, which is why I chose it. I just thought the limited functionality was until feature-parity was reach with Classic. So this is a bit of a surprise.

Ruth Kuehn
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 30, 2021

Hi Bree, we need to do multi-project-management. We strongly depend on a good overview over all our projects alltogether. We would do this by using Portfolio - right? And if we want to use Portfolio we should abandon again all our next gen projects, right?

Thanks for your advice.

DA
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 30, 2021

I do find it slightly ironic that what likes to refer to itself as the market-leading  "Agile" tool refers to "company-managed" anything...

Vasyl Boroviak
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 30, 2021

Thanks for empowering team! This is great change. Looking forward to apply it across the company.

Viktoria Webber March 31, 2021

As a long time Jira user I have to admit I never found the energy to explore the New gen stuff. It just sounded buzz wordy and silly.. The new names makes it sooo much clearer what you're trying to achieve and I will definitely look into them. It makes so much more sense for teams to be able to have more control over their own processes rather than everything going through me. 

Thank you @Bree Davies  for that explanation! 

Like # people like this
james_bailey March 31, 2021

@Bree Davies , makes a lot of sense. I'd love to have a chat to talk about key features which are missing currently. My worry is the naming brushes some of the current issues I face under the carpet.

Like Dave Liao likes this
Chris Owens
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 31, 2021

So for a company with 1 development team delivering multiple products (but may scale out its teams, i.e. have 2, 3 or 4) what project type do you suggest is better? I notice slight differences in each such as labels being visible on the NextGen board but not the classic - small difference but useful to have them, so some feature make us want to go next-gen, but our company profile "seems" to fit classic....

Ronald Vallenduuk March 31, 2021

Classic project are here to stay. At least that's some good news from Atlassian for a change.

Can we also get company-managed issue view back please? You know, the proper issue view that you are scrapping from tomorrow?

Rama K Goberu {Appfire} March 31, 2021

TMPs have more scope than what meets the eye.

Looking forward to the more mature and robust re-modeling of the TMPs wherein teams do not have to redo everything when something goes wrong and they need to switch. 

Thanks for sharing, @Bree Davies ! 

José Beltrán
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 31, 2021

Way to move forward! Thanks!

Elisa Proctor March 31, 2021

I like the clearer renaming, helpful in deciding which to use.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events