Introducing the new issue search to Jira Cloud users (updated)

67 comments

P_D_ Foerster
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2023

Good improvement compared to the old issue search. I especially like the multi-line queries and improved performance / autocomplete.

Like # people like this
Ingo Wenke December 6, 2023

In the new issue search view, not all field are available and some features are hidden, like bulk operations or Excel Exports. So, a "Switch to the old issue search" feature ist available to switch back.

But this feature is not available to all users, even if permissions seemed to be equal.

Is there any dependency on browsers or operating systems?

E.g. Mac + Safari: feature is shown, Windows + Chrome: feature not available?

Bildschirmfoto 2023-12-06 um 09.47.22.png

Like Jean Gordon likes this
Paul Antonio Page January 4, 2024

will you be able to export more that a 1,000 issues.  What is the Max.

Kevin Yu
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 13, 2024

Hey folks,

Thanks for actively contributing to this post with your ideas and feedback. Your comments have helped us tremendously in prioritizing and shipping the features you need. We’re excited to announce that we’ve recently rolled out a few features to improve the new issue search experience and we’ll be moving all our users into this experience soon. I’ve updated the post to include more details about these changes.

We encourage you to try out these features and continue sharing your thoughts.

Gregg Brown March 14, 2024

Hi @Kevin Yu 

Thanks for the update. I see there is an update in regards to exporting, but I don't see any mention of the exporting limit being changed. Last year I expressed concern that this new search does not have the "Export to Excel" button (see comment link below), which was the only way for my users to get around the 1,000 issue export limit easily. Is it still true this button is not available in the new search and/or has the seemingly arbitrary 1,000 issue export limit been removed in the latest update of the new search?

Is the plan to remove access to the old search by the end of March as well? If so, that leaves us very little time to plan ahead for this change. We run a lot of reporting outside of Jira that relies on being able to export a lot of issues at one time. If this capability is removed in the coming weeks, that simply doesn't leave us enough time to find an alternative solution and we'll be put in a very difficult situation.

Link to original comment concerning this: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-articles/Introducing-the-new-issue-search-to-Jira-Cloud-users-updated/bc-p/2496565#M9723

Thanks,
Gregg

Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 14, 2024

@Gregg Brown With the Better Excel Exporter for Jira Cloud app you can go above 1000 issues! 

Right now the Jira interface and the new screens are a bit inconsistent with displaying the apps' links, but the app should either be available:

1. in the "Apps" drop-down above the JQL input box (within the project)
  2. or if you click to "Go to all issues", which takes you to cross-project Issue Navigator, then again in the "Apps" drop-down above the JQL input box

Also mentioned by you, it supports the "Current fields" export mode. Try if it works for you until the built-in feature changes.

Iker Gómez Eiras March 20, 2024

Our entire organization was just forced into the new view. Which is FUN, because our entire workflow depends on Assets objects and fields, which as far as we can see are still unsupported; we can make filters based on Assets fields, but we can't see the content in the list of results, we cannot add Assets fields to the Columns.

Any plans to enable Assets field to the new view?

We can still manually go back to the old view, but, for how long?

This is a big problem for us.

Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2024

@Kevin Yu Starting to use this more. Please advise if we can configure the number of issues shown by default? ie. it shows 50 paginated - can we configure that? I looked at System > User preferences and i have that set to 200 but that is not respected in display here ...

I know that it may affect performance but wondering if this is possible?

Also another thing I like is that the Sprint column only shows the current sprint it is in and + button whereas the old/global issue navigator shows them all. Nice!

Eagerly awaiting the new updates to this. Thank you

Jean Gordon March 27, 2024

@Kevin Yu  Why is it so slow?

Why does the total now show at bottom rather than top? It is rubbish scrolling down a screen that is mega slow rather than showing at top which is helpful.

Again why cant we chose what we want rather than force something that does not work for everyone?

Typical atlassian - we would prefer bulk clone as standard not forced to pay!

Like # people like this
Nate Funderburke March 27, 2024

@Kevin Yu -- why is it so hard for Atlassian to let users configure JIRA functionality the way they want it?

Our organization ported over from another product to JIRA and it took us MONTHS to train and convince our business users that this was a better approach.  We've created workflows and procedures based around how JIRA worked when we started to use it.

But once again, JIRA changes something that ruins my efforts to keep the business users placated with the functionalities.  The old search wasn't great, but we had all of our columns within the width of a page; now we have to scroll way to the right because the columns are now huge, only using word-wrap after a much wider column width than it used to have.  We recently had our items spill over to a second page (which my users hated), but with this change, we now have over 5 pages to click through to see the whole list.

It was really hard to get everyone to use JIRA the way it was; now it will be impossible.

The way Atlassian changes JIRA so drastically and so often, forcing their changes on the cloud adopters, I need to hire a full time JIRA consultant to help us change our processes.

Like # people like this
Eileen Steffen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 27, 2024

The old search used to show the total number of issues in the search at the top.  Now it's at the bottom, forcing me to scroll down to show the total.  Also, some of the columns are VERY wide, forcing other columns off to the right, again causing a scroll that I didn't have to do.  I wonder if these are configurations?

Like # people like this
linda_yokota March 27, 2024

I haven't played with this much, and I imagine there are features I will like/need; but the change in font in the search window is awful, the column spacing in the list view of the results is too large! Where I can view all the column data on a single page (without scrolling right) that I need, now I have to scroll right and I hate it. :(

Having more dynamic search capabilities is great, but not every change is a good thing. LEAVE THE OLD VIEW/SEARCH. I have a lot of data to view in List view and I don't want to have to scroll.  OR, please change the font of the result data returned, put that green checkmark back and the count of returned results at the top where I don't have to ... scroll down. 

Like # people like this
Josh March 29, 2024

@Kevin Yu the initial feedback from both our users and Jira admins has been very positive thus far.

One thing we didn't see listed in any of the announcements is that the "Assign" action is no longer present in the ... menu.

Is this a feature or a bug? Have any other options been removed?

P.S. I was going to upload a screenshot but it appears that the image upload functionality here is currently broken. Instead of an "attach" or "done" button, it shows "li.media.uploader-dialog.buttons.done" and doesn't attach the file.

Like # people like this
Ryan Gallagher
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 1, 2024

The new search is neat, but please fix the column widths, or let us adjust them manually.  Having all my filter views explode horizontally so that I now have to scroll to the right in order to see columns that used to fit on one page is infuriating. I have switched back to the old search for now.

Like # people like this
Andrea Herrmann April 2, 2024

The column widths are way to wide now - is there a possibiltiy to adjust the column width manually?
For our work it is necessary to have the filter results on one page, without scrolling right. It is very confusing now. We will switch back to the old search.

Like # people like this
Jean Gordon April 2, 2024

Jordan Koukides

We have complex searches and do not expect to have to use additional tools because you have changed something that is not helpful to all.

Can we stay with current functionality as there are many issues for us inlcuding page taking almost 1 minute to load.

I dont know why you increase sizing so we have to scroll as nor helpful at all and getting to be like the kanban board that is becoming unusable with all the items we dont need displayed.

No wonder pages take an age to load or get errors.

Our accessibility team have commented that the changes are not good for accessibility and like others we may have to look elsewhere as it seems that only narratives you agree with are changed while the rest of us are left with a system that is no longer operational

Thanks Jean

Like Nate Funderburke likes this
Angela April 13, 2024

Hi,

I like new Issue View in general, but will highly appriciate if JSWCLOUD-26584  will be implemented. Labels are widely used in our workflow and it's important to see them all in Issue View.

Thanks in advance!

Like S_ Francoeur likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events