Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what filter query will list all items in backlog in the same ranking order from top to bottom?

Great Ancheta May 18, 2022

I have tried various queries with the filter 

using

project in (PIN) order by rank asc"

but it doesn't produce exactly the same order top to bottom in the backlog tab.

it seems like there are other things affecting the order?

2 answers

0 votes

1. this is the current order of backlog top to bottom

backlog order.png

2. this is the order using a filter with the only sort  "... order by rank asc"

backlog order filter.png

3. I am at a loss why it is doing this. the items supposed to be at top are near the bottom.

while items that have not yet been assigned to sprint mostly showing up top

0 votes
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2022

Hi @Great Ancheta - I just ran a query that orders by rank and it seems to return results accurately.  One thing to note is that epic ranking will be a little muddled because, while they're ranked against each other, they're ranked independently of stories/tasks so, if your query is returning all issue types epics will be scattered throughout your results.  Also, Sub-tasks will be displayed just after their parent issues.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2022

The sub-tasks with their parents is because sub-tasks do not have a global rank themselves, they are part of their parent issue.

Like Mark Segall likes this

Thanks for the reply. oh sorry made a new answer as a response to your answer. if you can check it.

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2022

Your query is not filtering out resolved issues so those will show on top.  If you want an accurate reflection of your current backlog, you should probably do something like this:

project = PIN AND issueType != Epic AND resolved IS EMPTY ORDER BY rank
Like Great Ancheta likes this

I tried that query and this is the result. it removed some items but still not same as backlog. 110, 120 , 148 not at top

backlog order filter 3.png

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2022

I'm not sure that ranking changes just because an issue is moved into a sprint.  You may need to create two filters and then combine.  Something like this:

Filter 1: Sprint Query

project = PIN AND sprint in opensprints() ORDER BY Rank ASC

Filter 2: Backlog Query

project = PIN AND sprint NOT IN opensprints() AND issueType !=Epic and resolved IS EMPTY ORDER BY Rank ASC

Filter 3: Putting it all together

Filter In ("Filter 1", "Filter 2")

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events