setting up automation to send notification via slack webhooks not working

Sinh Lam July 22, 2021

Hi -

I've been looking and looking but unfortunately I have not had any luck finding an answer to this. 

I would like to set up some automation to trigger alerts sent to me via slack using their webhooks.  Manually testing (using curl to do the test) the webhook works but not via automation.  Unfortunately even the simplest task (such as alert when a new issue is created) fails to work.  What I notice is I am lacking the ability to specify the payload needed to send these messages to slack.  I seem to be on the legacy version of automation and all the documentation I've seen points to the non-legacy version.  

so two question, 1) is what I'm doing achievable without using plugins (cause I love paying for something on a monthly basis when the function should just work without it) and 2) how do I get off the legacy version so I can at least stop blaming that. 

apologies for the harsh tone in this post but I've spent 2 days looking with zero success of doing this.  

thanks in advance.

Sinh

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 26, 2021

Hi @Sinh Lam , welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear you've been struggling with getting Slack messages set up with Jira. I can understand how frustrating it is to not have the right options in front of you when configuring software.

There are a couple ways to send messages into Slack from Jira, without having to pay for extra apps. Let's go over Automation first, since that's what you've mentioned. In Jira Service Management projects, there are indeed two versions of Automation right now. The "Legacy automation" (which you'll want to avoid for this use-case), and the actively-developed Automation which is available in all Jira projects.

To get to the "right" automation, first you'll open the Project Settings, and click Automation most of the way down the left sidebar:

image.png

From here, things can get off-kilter. You should see two options on the left, one for Automation (the one you want to use), and Legacy automation (the one you don't want to use):

image.png

When creating a rule in the Automation (not legacy), you can create a trigger for Issue Created, then an action for Send Slack message.

image.png

This allows you to send a message with the Slack webhook URL. You do not need to format the message payload like you would with a normal webhook, as Automation takes care of all that for you.

The other method is using the built-in Jira Cloud for Slack app, which is also free. You can use the app to create subscriptions into Slack channels when certain triggers happen in Jira. Here's an example of a basic rule that sends a notification when issues are created or updated:

image.png

Getting set up with the Slack integration is pretty straightforward - you can install the app in your Slack workspace and the Jira Cloud bot will guide you through the rest of the configuration.

I hope that helps sort things out - no matter which option you go with, Automation or Jira Cloud for Slack integration, I can help answer any more questions that might come up.

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

Sinh Lam July 26, 2021

Hi Daniel -

Thanks for the response (and welcome).  The issue I seem to be facing is I do not have the option to use the non-legacy automation.  Is there a list or someone I can contact to get our instance migrated to allow us to use the non-legacy automation?

Thanks.

Sinh

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 26, 2021

Thanks for confirming - is it possible you're on a Jira Server instance? The format of the url might be something like "jira.yourcompany.com". If this is the case, the new Automation can be installed as a separate app from the Marketplace. (although there is a free version of Automation for Jira Server, it does not include the Slack message action) - alternatively you could also look at the official (and free) Jira Server for Slack app for basic JQL-based notifications.

If not - could I verify the URL of your Jira Cloud site? e.g. yoursite.atlassian.net

Thanks!

Daniel | Atlassian Support

Sinh Lam July 26, 2021

Hi Daniel - 

We originally started with Jira Server but migrated our system to the Jira Cloud site.  

the site is : invia-robotics.atlassian.net

Thanks.

Sinh

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events