Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Request Type" field questions

Paul Heath Armengol January 11, 2023

Hi all, a couple questions:

1) How can I set the default value for field "Request Type" when creating an issue of type Incident.

2) I have an Incident queue to show All Incidents but it doesn't show the Incidents created with "Request Type = No request type" although I can see them using the All issues filter. Why? See images below:Screenshot_1.jpgScreenshot_2.jpg

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2023

Hi @Paul Heath Armengol 

Question 1

As far as I know, you can't set a default value for "Request Type" - which is a locked custom field.

The alternative is to use an Automation Rule to populate empty Request Types - for example...

• Trigger: Issue Created
  • Condition: Issue Fields Condition
    • Field = Request Type
    • Condition = is empty
  • Action: Edit Request Type
    • Request Type = <Default option here>

---

Question 2

I assume you're viewing this Queue in the "Incidents" sub-category of Queues.

It seems like to be in this Queue the Issue must have a Request Type, and must be an Incident. I tried to create a new Queue and search based on Request Type being empty and it shows 0 results (even though I created test Issues for this).

They do show in general Queues though - eg. "All Open Tickets"

It looks like this is a Bug which has been raised before, and the behaviour confirmed to be based on Request Types - see JSDCLOUD-9732 

So ideally, you wouldn't have any ticket raised without a Request Type :)

---

Ste

Yes, I'm viewing this Queue in the "Incidents" sub-category of Queues.

So if Issues must have a Request Type why does JSM allow  "Request Type = No request type" and how can we prevent it?

Screenshot_1.jpg

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2023

Hi @Paul Heath Armengol 

You'll need to either...

• Create the Issues via the Portal (where Request Type is required) or...
  • Use the Automation Rule I suggested in my original Answer to set a default Request Type when it is left empty

You cannot make the field required at this point, but there is a feature request you can view / vote for - see JSDCLOUD-8406 

I guess it's allowed to offer the flexibility of created these Issues either via the Portal or using the internal "Create" button. You're also looking at different functionality between ITSM JSM Projects and general JSM Projects - this is a specific issue within ITSM Projects because they have categorised Queues, rather than just a general list of them.

Ste

JSDCLOUD-8406 voted 

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 11, 2023

Hi @Paul Heath Armengol ,

when you say “incidents” are you referring to the ITSM issue “category” that Atlassian has presented in their implementation or do you mean you have created an Issuetype called Incident? Regardless, could you please provide the underlying JQL for your queue? My suspicion is that the JQL needs to be updated to include issues that do not have a Request type. Having said that, I would suggest that you try to resolve why issues are getting created without a Request type as this can present any number of problems that I have seen over the years. 

Incident is the Issue type.

The underlying JQL for my queue is "issuetype = Incidente ORDER BY key DESC"

I am creating the Incidents without a Request type to test what the differences are between Incidents with and without Request type. I didn't know this could be a problem, how so?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events