Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multiple workflows and issue changes

Yair April 7, 2024

Hi All,

i have a service desk project which I want to use with multiple teams.

When a ticket is created, I want to use an automation to change the issue type which will assign the ticket to the workflow associated with the issue type.

However I am running into some issues. These are the steps I think I need to do:

1. create 2 different issue types

2. create 2 workflows

3. associate each issue type with each workflow 

4. use automation to change issue type.

However this doesnt seem to work. The automation fails with this error - "The issue type selected is invalid (issuetype)"

I read 1 blog which said I need to associate both issue types to both workflows. However this doesnt seem to work. Each issue type can only be associated with 1 workflow. Is this true?

If someone has a guide for how to do this I would be very grateful. Again here is what Im trying to accomplish:

Create 1 service desk ticket with multiple answers (done)

Based on the response, use automation to change the ticket type (done but fails)

Have 2 workflows associated with 1 project

Have 2 issues associated with 1 project

Ability to change ticket type and associate with different workflow

Automate this process

Have different views and dashboards for different teams based on the different workflows

Thanks for the help!

1 answer

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2024

@Yair -

In JSM, each request type (where users use to file issues to your project) is associated to an issue type used in your project.

Each issue type can only have one WF and while multiple issue types can share a common WF.  You cannot have one issue type to be associated with multiple WFs at the same time.

Question for you why you want to change the issue type via automation rule after an issue is created (meaning a request was created)?  please advise.

I would recommend you to create different request types to handle what you want to accomplish.  This means that you have those request types (based on different issue types) where each issue type can have a different WF to use.

Please provide more information on your reason of changing an issue type after the issue is created, so we can advise you further (i.e. to use automation rule or not).

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Technology Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Yair April 14, 2024

@Joseph Chung Yin thanks for the answer.

I have created 1 central internal dynamic service desk (using forms) which will compile all internal requests into 1 form. This will eliminate the user creating requests from the wrong team as the form + automation will direct the ticket to the correct team. 

This will create 1 ticket in a central service desk. I want each team to be able to use their own workflow. The way I see this happening is to change the ticket type after it has been created using automation. 

Thanks for the help!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events