Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

issue Link and Comment Other Project

Barış Özer April 2, 2024

Hello,

We are creating an issue link from the Service Desk project to the INF Project.
I want the rule to work if reporter = jira-pmo-cloud group in the Service Desk project.

I want the copy of the comment to go to the Service Desk Project only when the "assignee" makes a comment in the INF Project where we create an issue link.

I tried a lot of automation but I couldn't do it. Can you help?

When we create an issue link to the INF Project, the "reporter" is me and the support team.
In the Service Desk project, the reporter is the "jira-pmo-cloud" group.

image.png

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 2, 2024

Hello @Barış Özer 

In what way is the rule not working?

Is the comment not getting copied when you think it should?

Is the comment getting copied when you think it should not?

Can you share with us the details from the Audit Log for the execution of the rule?

You said:

I want to send a duplicate comment to the Service Desk only when the "assignee" comments in the INF Project I linked.

Do you mean when the comment on the INF issue is made by the Assignee of the "INF" issue? If so, you need to check the Author of the comment prior to the For Linked Issue branch.

Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 10.14.38 AM.png

Barış Özer April 2, 2024

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

I'm so confused right now.

Can you automate for me as I explained above?

Because I forgot everything. :'(

Do you understand what I want to do?

Barış Özer April 2, 2024

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

I want this automation to work only when there are people in the group I specified in the Service Desk Project. How do I do this? Where should I write the rule?

Barış Özer April 2, 2024

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

Yes,

In the INF Project, the ticket can be Korhan, Ahmet, Mehmet. It will only work when "assignee" comments.

But there is another issue:

This rule should work when there is a "reporter" jira-pmo-cloud group in the Service Desk project.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 2, 2024

No I don't yet understand what you want.

I understand you want to copy a comment that was made on an issue in the INF project to a linked issue in the Service Desk project.

Under what conditions do you want to copy that comment?

1. When the person who makes the comment on the INF issue is also the Assignee on the INF issue?

2. When the Reporter field on the linked Service Desk issue is set to "jira-pmo-cloud"? You mentioned that is a Group. The Reporter field is a User field. It can't be set to a User Group, so I'm confused about that.

3. What is the project key for the Service Desk project that has the linked issue?

Barış Özer April 2, 2024

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

Now it should be like this:

Service Desk = Help Desk (JSM)
Key: SD

INF = Infrastructure Project
Key: INF

An issue comes to the Service Desk project and "reporter" = X

I am linking this issue to the INF project.

When I link the issue, an issue is created in the INF Project.

And this issue reporter = me

issue When I link, person X becomes assignee in the INF project.

When person X = assignee > comments in the INF project, I want the same comment to be sent to the Service Desk Project.

It shouldn't work when someone else comments. It will only work when assignee comments.

It's actually easy so far, but;

This rule should not work for all issues issue Linked to INF.

In the Service Desk project, I want person X to work as a reporter.

jira-pmo-cloud is a group I created. People in this group want the rule I explained above.

Barış Özer April 2, 2024

+++ @Trudy Claspill image.png

I did the following automation in the test environment.

OPR Key = INF Key

Why did I open the jira-pmo-cloud group? When one of the people in it becomes a reporter, I can easily add it with the condition "reporter in group" in the rule.

What I want most is;

If reporter = Halil, Ahmet, Mehmet in the Service Desk Project, let this automation work.

There is an example in the picture below. That's why, instead of writing the names one by one, I wanted to add the jira-pmo-cloud group with the reporter in group condition.

But I did it like in this picture on the live site, it didn't work.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 2, 2024

You used "person X" twice. Once you used it to say the reporter of the Service Desk issue is "X". Then you used it when you said the Assignee of the INF issue is "X".

Are the reporter of the Service Desk issue and the Assignee of the INF issue the same person? Or could they be different people?

Do you want this to work only if "X" is a member of the group jira-pmo-cloud?

Barış Özer April 2, 2024

@Trudy Claspill Hi

Answer to the first question:
"X" is actually for example.

Reporter = Halil in Service Desk Project

Assignee baris.ozer (support staff)

issue I am Linked and in the INF project reporter = baris.ozer

In the INF project, assignee = automatic assignee, the component determines it.

Answer to the second question:
Service Desk project reporter is different

INF project reporter is always support staff. (agent creating issue linked)

Answer to the third question:
I want it to work when members in the jira-pmo-cloud group become reporters in the Service Desk project.

Only jira-pmo-cloud group members will use it.

Because;
Other people are also reporting problems to the INF project. Those people should not work either.

In the picture below there is an example where I linked the issue. Service Desk and INF Project example

Halil Çiçek = jira-pmo-cloud group member

Korhan Koseoglu = INF Linux admin

The rule will work when Korhan comments. The rule will not work when I comment.

image.pngimage.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 2, 2024

Thank you for providing that information. I believe I understand what you are trying to do.

I'll think on this for a bit and get back to you.

Like Barış Özer likes this
Barış Özer April 2, 2024

Thank you very much.

I'm waiting with excitement.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 2, 2024

The following rule should work.

The first condition confirms that the comment was added to your INF project.

The second condition checks that the comment author is the Assignee of the same issue in the INF project.

The branching looks for issues in the Service Desk project that are linked to the INF issue, and where the Reporter of the Service Desk issue is a member of the jira-pmo-cloud user group.

And then the last thing is to add the comment to the matching Service Desk issues.

Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 1.13.19 PM.png

Barış Özer April 2, 2024

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

Now I tried the rule.

I wrote a comment, no response. But it doesn't show up in the log.

Korhan wrote a comment to the INF Project, but it did not work.

Can you look at the picture? I don't understand :(

(Only include issues that have changed since the last time this rule was executed.) Should this be checked?

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 3, 2024

No, that box in the Branch step should not be checked.

Barış Özer April 4, 2024

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

Hello,

I unchecked it and tested it. Worked. Thank you very much. (:

I wrote a comment, but it didn't work. Korhan wrote and worked.

Can I ask for one more thing?

Now;

When Halil writes a comment on the Service Desk side, I want a copy of the comment to be sent to the INF Project.

Will I do it in the same automation?

Can you help me? Can you explain with a screenshot?

Barış Özer April 4, 2024

Hi again @Trudy Claspill 

The check box in the screenshot below will not always be checked, right?

Will it always be this way?

I don't really understand what it does exactly :(

image.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 4, 2024

When Halil writes a comment on the Service Desk side, I want a copy of the comment to be sent to the INF Project.

The current rule will not handle that situation. The conditions in the rule would not be met in that scenario.

1. The comment would be initially added to the SD issue, so the first check that the trigger issues is in the INF project would fail.
  2. The author of the comment is not the Assignee if the issue, so that condition would fail.
  3. The branch is looking for issues linked to the trigger issue (in this scenario the SD issue) but it is further restricting the search to find only those linked issues that are in the SD project and where the reporter of the linked issue is a member of the specified group. Those conditions in the JQL would exclude linked issues in the INF project.

You need a different rule if you want to copy comments from an SD issue to another issue. To construct that rule you need to first define the requirements of the scenario?

1. Does it copy comments from the SD issue to any and all issues linked to the SD issue?
  2. Does it matter who makes the comment on the SD issue?
  3. Does it matter who the assignee is on the SD issue, or the INF issue?
  4. Does it matter who the reporter is on the SD issue or the INF issue?

-------------

The check box in the screenshot below will not always be checked, right?

Will it always be this way?

I don't really understand what it does exactly :(

Each time you add a Branch step that uses JQL that box will be checked by default. Once you uncheck it in that step, it will remain unchecked.

Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 10.35.54 AM.png

When that box is checked it means that another criteria will be applied to the JQL results. That additional criteria will eliminate any issue that has NOT been updated since the last time the rule was run. That could result in not all the issues in the JQL being updated by this rule.

Barış Özer April 5, 2024

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

Actually I want this.

When Korhan enters a comment in the INF Project, a comment is added to the Service Desk project. It works very well.

Korhan's comment is copied to the Service Desk side as "Share With Customer".

image.png

On the Service Desk side, Halil (jira-pmo-cloud) replies to this incoming notification/mail and a comment is created on the Service Desk side.

image.png

I want this comment to be copied into the INF Project.

I'm adding a screenshot now.

Actually, the automation you do will be similar, I think so. Can this rule be made within the same automation?

Mutual comments will be copied. If the Reporter is a jira-pmo-cloud group and a linked issue is made to the INF Project.

Barış Özer April 5, 2024

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

Answer to the first question:

I want it to work if there is an issue Linked from the Service Desk project to the INF Project and reporter = jira-pmo-cloud on the Service Desk side. The automation you did is correct and we will use it too.

Answer to the second question:

It will work if there is an INF linked issue in the Service Desk Project and there is a person from the jira-pmo-cloud group. jira-pmo-cloud will be the trigger.

Answer to the third question:

Assignee does not matter in SD or INF project.

It will work when the assignee in the INF Project comments, just like the rule you made, and whoever is in the jira-pmo-cloud group in the SD project will work. assignee doesn't matter.

Answer to the fourth question:

I want this rule to work if there is someone from the jira-pmo-cloud group on the SD side.

reporter = It will work if there is a member from the jira-pmo-cloud group and the INF issue is linked.

Below is the automation you created. Can we add the new rule I wanted above here?

Let's have one automation and let it work what we want.

image.png

Barış Özer April 5, 2024

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

Hello again,

It's very complicated, yes I know.

I received another request for the automation you first made for me.

image.png

Can we notify the Service Desk when the "status" changes in the INF Project?

Example:

In INF Project status = Backlog and
After a few days, when status = In Progress, will the Service Desk receive an update regarding the status change?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 5, 2024

To encompass both tasks in one rule you would need to change the structure to use and IF-ELSE condition. That would allow you to have a rule that works in the following manner:

IF the comment entered is on an INF issue and the Comment author is the issue Assignee...

ELSE if the comment entered is on an SD issue and the comment author is the reporter of the SD issue and the reporter of the SD issue is in the jira-pmo-group.

In my example below:

"Test Project number 10 (TPN10)" would be replaced by your INF project.

"Customer Service (CUS)" would be replaced by the SD project.

"Group A" would be replaced by "jira-pmo-cloud".

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 12.56.43 AM.png

Then delete the original two conditions in the rule:

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 12.58.48 AM.png

And move the steps of the branch that was created to come under the IF.

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 1.01.10 AM.png

You would need to add a similar pair of steps under the Else-if step, adjusted appropriate to find the INF issues linked to the SD issue.

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 1.04.35 AM.png

Barış Özer April 5, 2024

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

Thank you very very much. I did the automation you did.

The picture is below.

I hope the above automation will work correctly in both the INF Project and the SD project (:

image.png

Can you help me with the question I asked above?

Can we write a rule regarding "status" changes in the automation you showed me?

((Can we notify the Service Desk when the "status" changes in the INF Project?

Example:

In INF Project status = Backlog and
After a few days, when status = In Progress, will the Service Desk receive an update regarding the status change?))

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 5, 2024

What do you mean by notify the service desk about the status change?

Have you tried to take the rule we've provided and use that and the Automation Rules documentation to see if you could figure out how to make that second rule?

I recommend that you give it a try. If you have questions about it then you should start a new Question post. That new rule is a different set of requirements than your first rule, so it should be discussed in a separate Question.

0 votes
Barış Özer April 2, 2024

+++

I just want it to work when the "assignee" person comments in the INF Project.

Service Desk Project = reporter = jira-pmo-cloud AND issue Linked to INF
But when I do issue Linked, "reporter" = jira-pmo-cloud will not be.

I want to send a duplicate comment to the Service Desk only when the "assignee" comments in the INF Project I linked.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events