Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

insert issue description into comment

Steph Bannister June 16, 2021

Hi There,

I thought this answer must exist but I cannot find anything that helps me via searching.

I am on JSM Cloud and I want to know if we can use e.g. smart values, or some variable values when writing "reply to customer" comments on issues.

What I specifically want to do is include e.g. the issue description as a footer of the comment, or include the last comment body text, or possibly the full comment history.

I am aware of smart value options like:

{{issue.description}}

{{#issue.comments.reverse.body}} 2Comment by: {{author.displayName}} at: {{created}} 3{{body}} 4{{/}}

However, I tried inserting these into a comment and this doesn't work to input the field contents. I only get the text printed as is above.

It seems like I can't use smart values or variables in the comment box itself. Is this true?

One option would be to modify the templates for each notification. But it may be that depending on the comment being sent we want to include different text fields (i.e. not always the description if you've been sending multiple comments back and forth already, and the whole comment history may get very long). So I'm not sure this option exactly addresses our needs.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

STeph

1 answer

1 vote
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 25, 2021

Hello @Steph Bannister,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

When it comes to Customer notifications, currently, it’s not possible to add the previous comments or the description when adding a new comment.

Customers will receive the notification only with the new information.

There is a feature request suggesting the implementation of this ability:

Please, click on vote and also watch to receive updates from our product team.

The smart values that you mentioned, will work on the Automation. On the Customer notifications, it’s only possible to use variables and it’s necessary to add it on the template itself, not in the comment box.

What you can do, in this case, is to create automation and execute it when the customer needs the history.

Go to Project settings > Automation > Automation and create one using the “Manual trigger”. This is a simple example:

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 16.53.19.png

Then, it can be executed directly in the ticket when necessary:

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 16.58.19.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 16.56.08.png

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Angélica

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD