Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

if a request type has a specific value it must prevent an issue to be closed

Reinier November 25, 2022

Hi all,

We have JSM running in the cloud and all is working fine. We have one challenge that we need a bit of help. There are 2 ways to create tickets:

1. using the portal

2. by E-mail.

Our challenge is that if an issue is created using an E-mail we have to change the request type to get the proper classification of the issue (including the correct SLA for that request type). What good to know is that we have multiple JSM projects.

My goal: To prevent issues that have the request type "Emailed request" to be closed. 

I already tried to add a condition in the workflow:

The field Request Type will have to be not equal to value 'Emailed request'. Compared as String.

But this condition is not working sadly. 

Is there any smart thing that we can do?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Patrik Korovsky
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2022

Hi @Reinier

I see many solutions depending on how the email requests are closed.

The easiest one I can think of is to copy the workflow of another request and apply it specifically to the "Email Request" issue type, then set the "Always False Condition" (Always fails) for the close transitions.

If you share more details, I will be happy to work out the best solution for you.

Reinier November 27, 2022

Hi,

let me try to explain a bit more:

If an Emailed request comes in we change the request type form Emailed request to something else. 

Example:

Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 08.40.37.png

And all other request types have an SLA (Emailed request is the only exception). I am afraid that if we create a second workflow that we can only adjust this if we "move" the issue. And moving is something that I would like to avoid because it introduces more risks (like moving the issue from customer a to customer b).

So I hope that there is an option to prevent the issue (Emailed request) to proceed.

Looking forward to your suggestions and options.

With kind regards,

Reinier

Patrik Korovsky
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2022

Hi @Reinier

I propose to set up a condition, that blocks (status transition will not be visible) transitioning  the issue from the "create" status if the Customer Request Type = "Emailed request".

We will need to get the ID (key) of the request type

This can be done by first acquiring the ID of a ticket and then passing this onto an endpoint.

1. Open the issue, that has the "Emailed request" Request Type active
  2. Clicking the "move" option in additional options under the ticket
    move.png
  3. You will see the issue ID of the at the end of the URL
  4. Go to "https://instance-name.atlassian.net//rest/servicedesk/1/servicedesk/request/issue-ID/request-types" in your browser
  5. In the returned JSON, under "validRequestTypes" search for the "Emailed Request" type and find it's "key"
    • For this step I recommend to use a formatter, such as https://jsonformatter.org/
    • Also note the portalKey, that you will need in the set up

Workflow set up:

For each transition from the "Create" state we will need add a condition, that it cannot transition. This applies to all transition you do not want to be visible in the example below I would set it up for "To Analysis" and all "to All" transition such as the All -> Discarded.
transition.png

1. Add a new "Value Field" condition with the following set up
    1. Field: "Customer request type"
    2. Condition: "!=" (Not equal to)
    3. Value: "portalKey/key"
    4. Comparison Type: "Option ID"

Let me know if you have any questions or this solution does not suit you.

Cheers,
Patrik

Reinier November 28, 2022

Hi Patrik,

Good suggestion. I hope we can add multiple portalkey/key (for each different support project we have that shares the same workflow).

I will test and report back here.

Cheers,

Reinier

Reinier December 9, 2022

Hi Patrik,

This works really nice thanks a lot. :)

It took some time to figure out the json formatting stuff but we got it.

Again thanks.

Regards,

Reinier

Like Patrik Korovsky likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events