Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how get information from custom field and put this data to summary field in jira cloud

Fariz Aliyev March 25, 2021

Hi guys.

I use Jira cloud (Jira service management).

I need to get information from my custom fields and auto-put this information for summary field when i great issue. 

Thanks in advice.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 26, 2021

@Fariz AliyevLet's say you had two fields on the customer portal - Summary and Policy Number, and you wanted to add the value given in the Policy Number field to the end of whatever the user put in the Summary field.

You could create an automation rule which is triggered off the task creation, and then using the Edit Issues action, select the summary field and enter the following:

{{issue.summary}} - Policy Number: {{issue.customfield_id}} (where 'id' is the ID of the Policy Number custom field).

This would add " - Policy Number: [Policy Number field value]" to the end of the user's Summary.

This is quite a simple example, but it's a way of adding custom field values to the Summary entered by the user, without removing/clearing their Summary.

Hope this helps!

Fariz Aliyev March 26, 2021

Hi @Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_ 

Thank you! it works.

Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 26, 2021

No worries!!

Like Fariz Aliyev likes this
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 25, 2021

This is a bad idea, it's horrible for your users.

This is because the summary is a mandatory field, it needs your issue creators to populate it when they create an issue.  It always has to be on-screen.

Even if you re-arranged the fields on the create screen so it came last, there's no way to pre-populate it.  (At all, not just from the custom fields your people may enter before they get to it)

So you need your people to put something into the summary.

Now, what you can do is use automation or scripting to build a summary and push it into the field after the user creates it.

Which destroys the data your person put in.  Which is really annoying and frustrating for them.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events