Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

customer notifications from jira to customers are going into their spam folder from custom email.

Leon August 2, 2021

We connected the domain and entered the SPF and DKIM settings as per https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/configure-jira-cloud-to-send-emails-on-behalf-of-your-domain/

The domain in jira has been verified.

Using this tool the email configuration has been setup.

https://domain-check.atlassian.com/

Verify Email Domain Configuration

Success, domain properly set up!

When Jira sends customer notifications from the custom email, they land in the customers spam folder and not their inbox? How do i resolve this?

Screenshot 2021-08-03 105346.png

We use office 365.

Update: For clarity. We are the agents, the customers are our customers. The jira notifications being sent to our customers are landing in their spam/junk folder.

This only started to happen to we connected our domain and used our custom support email address for incoming and outgoing email requests.

I believe Jira is not sending emails using our microsoft email servers, but instead using jira mail servers to send outgoing emails to our customers "AS our email address" This is trigging an email spoofing protection mechnicisms in customers inbox as the actual sending being a jira email server  does not match the email address it is masking as, being our support email address.

I believe the SPF records and DKIM records were added to preventing the trigging of the anti spam/phising protection but it is not working.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2021

Hi @Leon This related to Email Server. For this you need to check with your organisation Email Admin or O365 admin team. They need to put @Atlassian.net domain into whitelist. 

Hope it works for you!

Thanks

V.Y

Leon August 2, 2021

Before i saw your message i was on the phone for an hour to microsoft support but they have not figured it out yet. Was there a link to an office help guide on this issue?

Anthony Martin August 2, 2021

Try this, just substitute in the Atlassian domain(s).

https://www.pei.com/whitelist-email-office-365/

Leon August 2, 2021

This guide seems to require every single one of our customers to white list the Atlassian domains?

@Leon - negative, it's an admin setting across the entire Exchange server.  Change once, works for everyone.

Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2021

@Leon  I agree with @Anthony Martin  If you follow the steps mentioned in Link :- https://www.pei.com/whitelist-email-office-365/ ..it definately works for all email address.

I worked on O365 Admin Center, you need to put only domain not complete email address.

Thanks

V.Y

Like Anthony Martin likes this
Leon August 2, 2021

Just to clarify, my issue is my customers receiving jira notifications in their spam folder, not the agents.

The guide refers to allowing emails IN our own mailboxes, the problem is the customers email boxes, not ours.

Ah, is it a customer outside of your organization?

If customers (as in JSM Customer accounts) are in your company, fhen the above solution is exactly what you need.

If they are external customers, they will need to either follow the above instructions (I would make a nice PDF or web page for them, or find official MS guide to share with them) or individual users can use the "Mark as not spam" function in Outlook.

Leon August 2, 2021

It is not possible to ask 5000 customers to start editing their white lists.

Anthony Martin August 3, 2021

There is nothing you can do on Jira side to change spam filter settings of your customers.  That said, I've never seen Jira identified as spam (across multiple companies and many projects), so I doubt you would need to do this with all 5,000 customers.  

The only thing I can think of is that Atlassian could register with the organizations that offer spam filter registries, however my guess is that they have long since done this (it's a common thing to do for software companies).   If a specific customer has Jira mail marked as spam, it may be because their users have specifically marked it as spam, triggering their Exchange to start treating it as such.  Hard to say without concrete examples.

Like Vikrant Yadav likes this
0 votes

This appears to not be a Jira issue and more of a user email app or domain email filter issue.  If the user is part of a company-managed exchange server or the like, Jira should be added to its whitelist.  I think this may be handy:

https://support.atlassian.com/organization-administration/docs/ip-addresses-and-domains-for-atlassian-cloud-products/

If not company managed Outlook app on user side, they can mark the email as not spam and future emails should not be filtered.

I'm not an expert, so please take with a grain of salt.

(Sorry for edits, put wrong URL at first!)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events