automation - multiple-select insight field set single value in another field

Jeanne Schock August 23, 2022

I want an automation rule for incident tickets, to set a field "Customer Facing" as "Yes" if any one of the selected objects in another field - "Impacted Services" - has the "Customer Facing" attribute set to Yes in Insight.

1. User selects objects A, B and C in field "Impacted Services" 

2. A object and B object have attribute "Customer Facing" value of "No", but C has value "Yes"

3. Automation rule sets "Customer facing" to "Yes" because at least one of the objects selected has a value of "Yes" for that attribute

Thank you for any assistance.

1 answer

1 vote
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2022

Hi @Jeanne Schock and welcome to the community!

You would do something like this:

• TRIGGER: Field Value Changed (Impacted Services)
  • ACTION: Lookup Objects
    • {{issue.Impacted Services.Customer Facing}} = Yes
  • CONDITION: Advanced Condition
    • {{lookupObjects.size))
    • Greater Than
  • ACTION: Edit Issue (Customer Facing)
    • Yes
Jeanne Schock August 24, 2022

Thank you. This makes sense. It is not working however. Could you review please? Much appreciated.

Name of Field: High-Level Services

Name of Object Type: High Level Service

Name of Attribute: Student Impact

I have:

• ACTION: Lookup Objects
    • {{issue.High Level Service.Student Impact}} = Yes
  • CONDITION: Advanced Compare Condition
    • {{lookupObjects.size))
    • Greater Than
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2022

Can you please share a screen shot of the rule's audit log?  This will help us identify where the rule is failing.

Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 11.41.15 AM.png

Thank you again for the help

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 24, 2022

So, it looks like the smart value is not returning anything.  Looking back at your initial description, the insight field name appears to be Impacted Services.  So your smart value should look like this:

{{issue.Impacted Services.Student Impact}}

Try adding a Log Action just above your Lookup Objects with this info:

{{issue.Impacted Services}} | {{issue.Impacted Services.Student Impact}}

This should return the object key(s) for the selected Impacted Services and the Student Impact attribute.  If you see something there, then the lookup Objects should work. 

Thank you. The log results correctly display the object keys and attribute value of Yes or No. The schema name is "Test". But Look up object still throws errors. 

Log

TEST-76, TEST-77, TEST-82, TEST-90 | Yes, Yes, No, No

Lookup Objects:

Could not retrieve objects from custom smart value query:

{"errorMessages":["IQL \"Yes, Yes, No, No = Yes and objectSchemaId == 11\" has invalid syntax at position 3 with error message \"extraneous input ',' expecting {OPERATOR, REFERENCE_OPERATOR, IS_OPERATOR, ' '}\""],"errors":{}}

Log Action:

{{issue.High-Level Services}} | {{issue.High-Level Services.Student Impact}}

Lookup Objects:

{{issue.High-Level Services.Student Impact}} = Yes

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 24, 2022

Ok - I think I see what needs to be tweaked with the lookup objects action:

"High Level Service" IN ({{issue.Impacted Services}}) AND "Customer Impact" = Yes

Thanks Mark. Could you explain how this lookup is supposed to behave so that I understand how it works. And it's getting very confusing between the names of fields/attributes/object type. I'm having a hard time following the components of this string. Thank you.

"(name of object type?)" IN ({{issue.(field name?)}}) AND "(object attribute)" = Yes 

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 24, 2022

No problem...

1. First thing you're doing is finding all objects where the key equals what has been mapped to the issue.
  2. Next you're trimming that list down to only those where the object attribute = Yes

So as I type this out, I'm realizing it should probably be:

Key IN ({{issue.Impacted Services}}) AND "Customer Impact" = Yes

Sorry for the extra back and forth... Day job keeping most of my attention

Thank you that did it. Sometimes having to explain in English really helps sort it out. Thanks so much, this is my first adventure in using Insight for Incident automation. It's really powerful. 

Thanks!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events