Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

automation and time duration

fnusla June 29, 2022

Hi 

I am using Jira service Management server, I have 2 questions

1. can we change issue type in automation

2. can we calculate the time between 2 status (waiting for support to in progress) once the ticket has been resolved 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 29, 2022

Hi Fnusla,

1)  No.  Automation does not (yet) have a "change issue type" function. 

There is a good chance that it never will.  The issue type is a structural thing, not a simple attribute, it determines fields, workflows, screens, and a load of other stuff.

Changing the type of an issue is not simple.  In most cases, you should be thinking of it as a "migration" or "move", not an edit.  Jira needs to check that you're not going to break things, ask questions if you might, and warn you that you could be destroying information.

Changing the issue type 

• Needs to be checked by a human
  • Should never be part of a standard process (the function is there for us to correct genuine "oops I raised the wrong type" errors, and for housekeeping)
  • Should never be automated.  It needs a human to validate that it's a) right and b) carries the right data over

Note - none of that applies when two issue types have shared, and hence identical, configuration.  That would be easy to add as an Automation, but for most people, it's not the case.

2) Yes.

Jira is a bit weak on this, it has some "time in status" reporting functions, but I feel most of us reach for apps as soon as the question gets asked because plain Jira is not good at it.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events