Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

add fields from proforma form to email automation

Sam Fowler March 17, 2022

I have tied the user name field to a proforma field and tried to use {{issue.fields.user name}} to include the entry in an email automation but the field is not being included in the email (subject and body). What am I missing or doing wrong?

/Sam

1 answer

1 vote
Ste Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 19, 2022

Hi @Sam Fowler 

Can you confirm...

• What type of field user name is?
  • Is this an actual custom field, not just a Proforma field?
  • Is this field populating on the Issue Screen (i.e outside of Proforma)?

Could you also provide a summary of your automation rule?

{{issue.user name}} should work - but the questions above might help identify what is happening here!

Ste

Sam Fowler March 21, 2022

It is linked to a proforma field right now, would like to use custom fields but from my understanding, that is not possible right now.

{{issue.User Name}} did work, I was using {{issue.fields.User Name}}. 

Peter Preston
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2022

@Sam is your ProForma field linked to a Jira field or a custom field? 

Inactive Stephen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2022

Hi @Sam Fowler 

Just to confirm from above, if {{issue. User Name}} worked, does this solve your issue?

It's possible to use custom fields from Jira in automation rules, but not proforma fields (i.e fields which only exist on the form).

Ste

Huw Evans May 2, 2022

That is not correct. You can retrieve Form field data and use in automation rules. 

https://docs.thinktilt.com/proforma/Jira-Automation-(Cloud).1571291510.html#JiraAutomation(Cloud)-AccessthecontentsofProFormaFormsWARNINGRed

A little clunky and unsupported. 

Ste Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2022

Hi All,

@Huw Evans is correct, this does work! Good find!

It doesn't seem to work that way in Forms for me though. I'm using Forms after it was integrated by Atlassian, not before as a standalone App - so the option Issue JSON is not available.

But, I found a workaround using Automation...

Pre-creation:

• Create a Form, with the appropriate questions
  • Link it to the relevant Request/Issue Type
  • Turn ON Create new issue and copy the link, to make the Automation rule easy to activate

Automation:

Create a temporary rule...

• Trigger: Issue Created
  • Action: Add Comment to Issue. In the Comment box...
    • Use an appropriate Proforma smart value, for example for a text field, use: {{issue.properties."proforma.forms.i1".state.answers.AAA.text}}
      • AAA is the Question ID, which you want to locate.
    • To check each question, to verify which ID relates to which, create a smart value line for the number of questions you have - so I had 15 on my form, thus had 15 separate smart value lines in the box.
    • Change AAA to be an ID number - so again, for my 15 separate lines, each had a unique number between 1-15.
    • Finally, you need an easy way to locate each line once the smart value becomes an actual value. I used lettering, so added A-O before the smart value.

Save the rule, and activate it.

Post-creation:

• Create an Issue using the copied link to the form
    • Populate each field with a unique text value
  • The correct IDs should populate the text values into the comment added post-issue creation. You can then use the lettering (or similar) to locate which ID this was from the rule.
    • I would note down the relationship between Question and ID, for future use.

You can then create Automation rules using the relevant ID(s)!

You can also re-run this process per field type, taking the different smart value options from the Proforma help page.

Let us know if this works for you!

Ste

Like Peter Preston likes this
Huw Evans May 18, 2022

You are correct, it looks like the JSON tab is only available on instances that have not been migrated to the bundled form functionality yet. 

Like Ste Wright likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events