Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

You've reached your monthly rule execution limit. Upgrade your plan to increase your limit.

Hello,

I seem to have somehow hit my monthly automation rule execution limit. I am on the lowest tier plan. I can't seem to see where Atlassian provides the limit by tier?

Thanks,

5 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

@Ben Weisman / @Mike Clarke -

I have obtained confirmation from Atlassian Support on my support request. So here is the details:

Subscription Tier/Execution Counts Limit

• Free/ 100 counts hard limit on Global/multi-projects rule executions per month.
  • Standard/  500 counts hard limit on Global/multi-projects rule executions per month.
  • Premium/Enterprise / 1000 counts limit on Global/multi-projects rule executions per month per user.

If the automation rules is setup only on a single project, then there is no limitation for all the subscription tiers.  The execution usage in this case for single project will not count against the overall limits on Global or multi-projects rules.

So @Ben Weisman - the reason why you are getting the error message, you will need to look at your Global/multi-projects rules setup, the count limitation is associated with those configuration.  As a workaround, you will need to duplicate those rules and create them in each one of your projects, so you can enjoy the unlimited executions since they are not shared with other projects or globally in your system.  The only drawback will be the maintenance of those rules because now you will need to change them for each project independently instead of from Globally.

Here are some useful links regarding to usages question -

Hope this helps.  Please click on Accept Answer when you have a chance.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Great info! Thank you.

@Ben Weisman -

Please click on Accept Answer, so others in the community with the similar ask can benefit from my information provided to you.

Best, Joseph

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi @Ben Weisman and @Joseph Chung Yin 

I really wanted to understand the Free plan automation execution limits so raised a support ticket and Atlassian confirmed what we suspected - awesome!

Screenshot 2022-05-25 084949.png

If this answers your question Ben would you be so kind as to accept the answer?

@Mike Clarke -

It looks like that Atlassian needs to update their documentation based on your findings.  I found the response a bit interesting.  I will follow-up on my end with Atlassian Support to confirm your findings (answer from your Atlassian support case).

Best, Joseph

Like Mike Clarke likes this
0 votes

@Ben Weisman -

I have just submitted an official ask from my end.  I will let you and Mike know, so we can confirm the response.

It is still my understanding that the limit is focus on the overall count of rule executions within an environment.  Once the overall execution limits/per month is reach (regardless if it is from a single project or multiple projects), then you will need to upgrade.

Stay tuned...

Best, Joseph

0 votes

@Ben Weisman -

Automation rule execution limit is based on the user licenses according to your subscription tiers.  As indicated in - https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/explore-jira-cloud-plans/

For Automation for Free/Standard is 100/500 executions, 

• Automate any task or process with just a few clicks. With Global and multi-project automation you can automate across as many projects as you need with a single rule. Learn more.
  • Customers on Free and Standard plans have access to a limited monthly trial allotment of global and multi project rule executions (100 and 500 per month, respectively).
  • Premium users have 1000 global and multi-project rule executions per paid user per month. Ex: 200 users in Jira Cloud Premium will have 200,000 monthly global/multi-project rule executions per month. This is pooled across all Jira tools and all users. Enterprise users have access to unlimited automation executions.

As far as I know, rule execution is not limited by project.  It is based on the execution counts.  You may want to evaluate your rules to limit the execution (avoid unwanted executions as much as possible).

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Hi @Joseph Chung Yin 

Thanks for sharing this, looks similar to what I've seen out in the wild too.

I saw the part that says "100/500 executions per month" for Free, but is this limited to multi-project or global rule executions?

ie. if I only had rules contained at a Project level, would there be 0 execution limits?

I can't see it specifically spelled out anywhere but would love to know

Thanks
Mike

@Mike Clarke -

As per my understanding, the Free execution count is the total execution counts for the Free/Standard tiers regardless of if the rule is executed at the project or global level.  So if you have a project's rule that executed (Standard tier) for 100 times/month, then you will have 400 executions left available for your environment for that specific month.

I would suggest you can confirm with Atlassian Support of my understanding - https://support.atlassian.com.

Best, Joseph

Like Mike Clarke likes this

Hi @Ben Weisman 

I've found a couple of articles that state that the limit for automation rules is up to 1000 executions per month - for Global rules (ie rules that span 2 or more projects)

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management/Automations-execution-limit/qaq-p/1335552

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/explore-jira-cloud-plans/

One way to reduce the risk of hitting your limit (and having to step up to Premium licensing) is to review your rules and see if you can reduce the overall number, and re-write any that are shared across projects so that they are project specific

Hope this helps

@Mike Clarke Is there a limit for project specific rules?

Thanks!

Hi Ben

Here's what I saw:

Customers on Free and Standard plans have access to a limited monthly trial allotment of global and multi project rule executions (100 and 500 per month, respectively).

Premium users have 1000 global and multi-project rule executions per paid user per month. Ex: 200 users in Jira Cloud Premium will have 200,000 monthly global/multi-project rule executions per month. This is pooled across all Jira tools and all users. Enterprise users have access to unlimited automation executions.

A little bit cryptic but to me that reads as "no limits on single project automation, but limits on global and multi project rule executions"

Interesting that it outlines that the limits for Premium are per user but it doesn't necessarily say the same for Free

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

Improving the Create Issue Experience in Jira Service Management Cloud

Hello everyone!  We are very excited to announce some much needed changes to the issue create experience in JSM (the blue "create" button) at the top of the screen.  We have just starte...

283 views 15 7
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you