Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong URL of Confluence for related articles

Christian S March 1, 2019

We are using Confluence (6.14.0) both for internal documentation for developers and as source of articles within Service Desk (3.16.0).
That works for articles found via search in Service Desk ("What do you need help with?"). The Confluence articles are correctly displayed via an iframe using Confluence's external URL https://knowledgebase.company.com. However, when creating a new Service Desk issue and Service Desk provides suggestions for related articles - then the URL with which Service Desk tries to access Confluence is wrong: It uses https://internalhostnameoncompanynetwork:8090 instead of https://knowledgebase.company.com. And thus, of course, it fails for external requests.

Is this a bug or misconfiguration?

2 answers

0 votes
Michael Kobert February 10, 2021

Hello @Andy Heinzer 

I face kind of the same issue in https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management/Customer-portal-provides-2-kind-of-links-to-knowledge-base/qaq-p/1531447

In our system we have the URL's correct and both systems are accessible from outside.

Can you give it a check? What am I missing there? I am kind of desperate.

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 5, 2019

It's hard to say for sure if this is a bug vs configuration.  I suspect that it's configuration, but let's check it first.   In Jira Server go to Settings -> Applications -> Under Integration on the left side navigation there is a link for Application Links.  Edit the application link so you can see what values are stored there.   What do you see here for application URL and display URL?

I'm betting that your site has an application URL of your internal hostname on port 8090.   This setup is common because it tends to bypass HTTP proxies that might be in place, AND bypass any SSL that might be the limiting factor here.  One possible solution here would be to use the FQDN for the application URL such as a confluence.example.com here.

But to make this work and over SSL, the Jira application has to actually be able to open a connection to that server on that address.  There a few different things that can prevent that, such as if your network requires that outbound HTTP(S) requests have to be passed through an outbound proxy, then Jira tends to need these settings in the JVM startup options.  More details in How to Configure an Outbound HTTP and HTTPS Proxy for JIRA applications.

If you're using HTTPS/SSL for these applications, it gets even more hairy, because in order for an application like Jira to make an outbound HTTPS request to another application like Confluence, it has to have the certificate of that application already in the truststore. Take a look at How to import a public SSL certificate into a JVM for more details.

These are the two major hurdles that we commonly see with setting up application links.  You might have to try to configure the applications links to use the complete URLs in both applications though and then look at the application logs in order to better understand what the limitation is for your environment.

Christian S March 6, 2019

Thank you so much for your answer!

However, I don't get from your answer why in one case it works and in the other it doesn't. You first mention the "Application links" setting in Jira. But it's not like that there are two settings - one for "Application link to Confluence used when accessing articles via search" and one for "Application link to Confluence used when accessing articles for displaying after clicking on a related article when creating a new issue". Or are there?

Same goes for SSL problems, networking issues, proxy settings etc: I simply don't see a reason why all these things could prevent one connection while the other works as expected.

So, do you have any advice on where to start digging into finding out why ist just works for articles found by search and not for clicking in related articles?

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 7, 2019

In Jira Server go to Settings -> Applications -> Under Integration on the left side navigation there is a link for Application Links. Edit the application link so you can see what values are stored there.

What do you see here for application URL? 

What value do you have for display URL?

Cameron Salhany December 26, 2019

@Andy Heinzer I am having the exact same issue as @Christian S . Localhost:8090 is reached when trying to pull up any Confluence article from the "What do you need" search box. Confluence articles load just fine when searching from the "What do you need help with" search box.  It's pulling from https://kb.company.com.

We tried changing the application URL to the same URL as the Display, but it broke the connection. We set it back to localhost:8090. 

2019-12-26 11_06_24-Confluence - Garland Service Desk.png10.png30.png20.png50.png

Cameron Salhany December 26, 2019

@Christian S @Andy Heinzer 

Neveremind! I fixed the issue by re-linking Jira to confluence. 

Like Andy Heinzer likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events