Working with the custom field - User Picker (single user)

KJ April 2, 2019

We use Jira Cloud

I have set up a Custom Field User Picker (single user) and no users appear in the field when I add it to a service desk issue type in the customer portal and view it as a unlicensed user or as the site admin.

I then updated the field to have a filter for Confluence Users and only 6 people showed in the list when there are 128 Confluence users set up.

I then created a test group with 4 people in it and only 1 person was in the drop down.

Please explain how this field works.

I want to use it so that unlicensed users on the customer portal can select their manager that will then be used as the approver for their request in the service desk project.

3 answers

3 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

3 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 3, 2019

Hi Kelly,

There are two settings that may be affecting the field to work correctly.
As you mentioned that you as a site-admin can't find users, you must go to Jira Settings > System > Global Permissions and check who have permission to Browse users and groups and you can add or remove the groups that will have this permission or set it to "Anyone".
Also, as it's a service desk project, please go to the Project settings > Customer permissions and select the option below:

Screenshot 2019-04-03_18-50-17.png

Please, give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Regards,
Angélica

KJ April 4, 2019

Hello -

Thank you very much for the help provided.  Getting closer to what we are tying to do.

The User Picker is not showing the group that I have added as the filter for the User Picker field.  I updated the field to remove the filter and now I can see all People for the service desk project whether they have any license or not in the drop down.

I then added the group back to the User Picker field.

There are 5 people in the group -  3 are in People and have a license, and 1 is in People but no license and is a Customer Portal users and 1 is not in People but is a licensed user. 

When I view the User Picker now - there are only 3 people showing all of which have licenses.   The 1 unlicensed Customer Portal user that appeared with no filter is now not showing even though they are in the group and neither is the licensed user that is in the group.

Does everyone in the User Picker dropdown have to be listed in People for the project?  If so why isn't the Customer Portal only user not showing when the group filter is applied?

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 8, 2019

Yes, with the new updates in Jira customers can find only other customers and users that were added in the project.
All users listed on People and customers listed in the customers' list will appear for them in the field.

Can you please check if the customer is showing on the customers' page?

KJ April 9, 2019

Yes - the customer only portal user is listed under Customers on the project.

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
April 12, 2019

Just to make sure that we are on the same page, I'll post here the steps for adding a specific list of users on a user picker field:

1. Create a group on user management and add the users that you want customers to be able to select.
  2. Create a custom field "User Picker (single user)".
  3. Add the field to the necessary screen.
  4. Back to the custom fields' page, on the right side of the field you have just created, click on Screenshot 2018-08-14_17-33-44.png > Configure.
  5. Click on Edit User Filtering.
  6. Check the box "Enable group or project role filtering", then on "Add filters" select "Group" and the group you created.
  7. Click on Add and then Save.

I used those steps and tested by adding users that don't have a license and are added in the role "Service Desk Customers", and it works when I search in the customer portal.
So, basically as per my tests, they don't need to have a license, but at least they must be added in the People page on the role "Service Desk Customers".

Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2020

Hi, thanks for these steps @Angélica Luz ...

Funny that I dont get the Configure option under the 3 dots next to both a single and multiple user picker.

Please advise why this is?

Under edit details, we do see "Search Template" but that only has options None or User Picker & Group Picker.

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
July 2, 2020

Hello Yatish,

Thank you for your question.

The custom fields' page changed and now the correct option is "Contexts and default value".

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 10.09.03.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 10.09.53.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 10.10.27.png

Oliver Zmorek June 4, 2021

Hi @Angélica Luz ,

just a question - it seems that one could use filtering for single user picker, but not for multiple user pickers which finally means I can't apply that approach here then. I've got now the problem that customers (from a service desk project) appears in that multi user picker of another project where - for obvious reasons - customer don't have access to. Any chance to solve that?

Best
Oliver

Test work November 29, 2021

I have followed the above , however customer are unable to search names in the user picker.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
November 30, 2021

Hello @Test work,

Thank you for reaching out to the Atlassian Community!

If the Customer permissions > Customer sharing is set to Customers can search for other customers within their project or organizations, they should be able to find users on the user picker field in the form.

Note that, if your customers are also internal users, for example, Jira Software users, you may also check if they have Browse users permissions (Cog icon > System > Global permissions > Browse users and groups).

Are customers able to find other customers on the + Share field, approvers, or any other user picker field that is not specifically a custom field with a filter?

Kind regards,
Angélica

Test work December 1, 2021

Thank you for your reply- however this is still a issue as the only way for customer's to select the user picker is that "I need to add service desk customer in the browse project". This is isn't ideal due to some tickets contain sensitive information 

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
December 3, 2021

Hi @Test work,

I saw that you created a ticket with our support related to this issue and they are already helping you.

I'm not sure I understood the requirement of the browse project permission for this case.

On all company-managed Service projects, the Service Project Customer - Portal Access must have browse projects permissions, otherwise, they won't be able to view the project in the portal.

I saw that you already scheduled a call with the support engineer, so let's focus on the ticket and once it's resolved, feel free to share the resolution here to help other community members that may have the same question.

Kind regards,
Angélica

0 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
June 7, 2021

Hi @Oliver Zmorek,

Thank you for reaching out to Community!

Testing on my local site, I can see that customers will show as a suggestion on User Picker fields on any project, even those that are not Jira Service Management.

Currently, there is no option to prevent that. 

Based on your question, I created a feature request suggesting this improvement:

Please, click on vote and also watch the ticket above to receive updates from our product teams.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Oliver Zmorek June 7, 2021

Hi Angelica,

thanks for your quick feedback! I proceed as suggested and hope it will come soon.

Best

Oliver

Like Angélica Luz likes this

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events