Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Without add-ons, is it possible to set the issue Create form so certain fields are preselected?

Brian Kuiken November 8, 2023

As a tester, the only category I ever need with our custom labeled Tasks is "Development." Depending on the tests we may end up needing 15+ test subtasks. So while it's not hard to make that selection each time it would save me a lot of time if that were pre-selected. Is there any way this can happen without an add-on? I have spent some time looking through settings and have not seen anything but I could be easily missing something. Online searches only turn up results on how to prefill the summary and description.

Thanks in advance for any info you all can provide.

2 answers

2 votes
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2023

@Brian Kuiken, you could write an automation rule that would fill it out for you. For example, you could write an automation that when a rule is created, if it meets the right criteria, automatically update the label to "development".

Thanks,

Kian

Thank you much for the prompt response! I have since found some ways to bake it in with the creation of stories. I have not run this by the team yet so I'm not certain this will work for our needs. But hopefully it can. Currently I'm stuck on the creating a subtask because "Category" is a reuired field which can not be set on the subtask unless I select the "Add fields" which switches it from being made as a subtask to being an issue, which won't show up under the "Subtask" section of the task. That is where we want to line them all up for organizational purposes. I dont have access to the admin settings but I can get to someone that does. Do you know if it's possible to remove category as a needed field for subtasks?

I was hoping to automate a pre-fill when I click "Create" and fill in the form for a subtask to the parent task. Looks like we will still have to do that aside from the initial automatic creation of the task since at this point in the process we won't know exactly how many test subtasks we'll need. But auto creating our test task on the story and at least 1 subtask will still save us time. Better than nothing.

1 vote
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2023

@Brian Kuiken -

Welcome to the community.  I agreed with Kian's suggestion on creating automation rule to auto-populate the issues' Labels field with "*Development".  The key thing will be that you need to have your issue's criteria defined, so only when the automation condition(s) are met, then assigned the value to the Labels field.  Otherwise, you can very will adding the wrong value to the field when issue is created.   

Automation component is out of the box.

Here are the reference links on Automation -

Important information on the execution count limits of your automation rules -

https://www.atlassian.com/blog/announcements/cloud-automation-packaging-update  (For Standard subscription, the limit is set to 5000 executions per month)

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Technology Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Thank you. I will read up on all this. Have a blessed day!

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 8, 2023

@Brian Kuiken -

You are welcome.  In regards to your replies to the other community leader suggestion - Here is my opinions -

1) Category field being required - You need to check and work with the project lead/site admins to verify if the field requirement setup for the project needs to be applicable for subtasks.  If not, he/she can modify the configuration (i.e. via WF or Fields Configuration Scheme etc..) to remove it for subtask issue type of the project.

2) You can create an automation, so when the parent task is created, it will automatically create one or many subtasks as a part of the rule.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events