Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Patching Process in Jira

John Benge July 29, 2022

Title is a little vague so I will explain.

Once a month I go through a patching process on our servers that is documented in an Excel template. Once I am done I create a ticket and attach the spreadsheet. 

I would like to consolidate this process directly into Jira. Is it possible to have this Excel template in Jira? 

Or, does someone have a better process for documenting this in Jira? I'm not stuck on Excel but I do like being able to Date/Timestamp each step of my process. 

Hope this makes sense, all help is greatly appreciated.

JB 

2 comments

Frederic Wolf August 10, 2022

Hi @John Benge

i think you can make a combination of insight, tickets, insight custom fields and automation. To solve that. 

as my ild prof would say: the rest is trivial, you will find out… ;-)

Okayee… i will explain.

• Create a Schema in Insight
  • create a object with all the fields you currently have in your spreadsheet
  • I think sth like Servername, IP, Owner, … will be there. Add a date field Last Update
  • Create a insight custom field which could hold the link to the object (your server)
  • create a time based automation, which creates an Epic or a Task “Monthly Updates 10.2022”
  • the automation additionally creates tasks or subtasks Which are linked to the above MAIN, for every Server which is documented in insight.
  • if you have done the update, another automation updates the last update date in your insight object. 

This is just a first idea without any details. But i think this should work very well. You have transparency over the progress, an audit trail of the update process and an overview within insight.

if anybody wants an extract as Csv or excel you can just search for the main and the childs and export all of it.

if you start implementing this, keep us/me up 2 date. I am very intereSted in the results. 

Frederic Wolf April 9, 2023

Hi @John Benge 

did you find any solution for you?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events