Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will sending out many emails affect performance of jira?

Franzi Joseph March 10, 2021

Hi all,

our company is using jira for a longer time now and we have started to send emails to customers via post functions as an automation. The number of emails we send out daily has increased since then as many departments discovered the adventage of not sending emails manually within certain process anymore but letting jira do it.

My question now is: if we will increase this further, should we expect an affect on jira performance? As jira was not supposed to be an email tool originally, I suppose :D.

Do you have any experience to share or is there kind of a recommendation, how many emails at once jira can handle?

Thanks in advance and best regards

Franzi

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 10, 2021

Hi @Franzi Joseph 

Welcome to community. I don't think mails sent by Jira shouldn't reflect on your instance's performance as that should be a different service on its own such as the SMTP server that is configured for outgoing mails (but I might be wrong haven't thought of using Jira that way).

Hi @Prince Nyeche 

thank you for your fast reply. So you say it could affect the performance? We have installed one plugin called JEMH, where we can even send customzied emails refering to all possible custom fields within HTML. Ist this something like this SMTP server you mentioned?

BR
Franzi

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 10, 2021

Hey @Franzi Joseph 

If using an installed app, there's a possibility it can affect the performance if it becomes too excessive. What you should do is know the total number of mails that is sent on a daily basis and try not to exceed that by a large margin. For example, if you're sending 1K mails through that app per day, don't drastically change it to 10k in 1 day.

Like Franzi Joseph likes this

Alright, thank you, this helps me in calculating the "risk" of performance problems :).

Have a nice day! BR

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events