Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why would Subtask be missing from the board Group By dropdown?

Tyler McDonald June 6, 2024

I'm a project admin in Jira and noticed recently that the Subtask option no longer shows in the Group By dropdown for our boards. This is a Company Managed project and currently the swimlane method is set to Stories in the board settings.  Does anyone know why the Subtask option could now be missing and how I can add it back? 

Screenshot 2024-06-06 110720.png

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2024

Hello @Tyler McDonald 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

Boards for Company Managed projects do not include Sub-task as a Group By option. That is available only in Team Managed project boards.

However, the Sub-task option in Team Managed project boards and the Stories option in Company Managed project boards are the same thing. In both cases the swimlanes are created based on Stories that have Subtasks.

Company Managed with Group By Stories:

Screenshot 2024-06-06 at 10.11.46 AM.png

Team Managed with Group by Subtasks:

Screenshot 2024-06-06 at 10.13.00 AM.png

Thanks. I've confirmed those settings are set to Stories and yet we continue to have tickets not show the subtasks like you have in your screenshots. Below is how our boards currently look even though those tickets have subtasks attached. Screenshot of board.pngScreenshot of subtasks. .png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2024

Do you have any quick filters activated for your board?

Are the Statuses set on the subtasks mapped to columns on your board?

What is the filter for your board? Does it include all issues from the project or is it more selective and possibly excluding the subtask issues from the board?

We do not have any quick filters activated and yes the the subtask statuses are mapped. I checked the filter and we only look for project issues and the specific team. I don't see anything excluding subtasks. Screenshot of filter.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 6, 2024

The Sprint criteria should not be a problem because subtasks inherit the Sprint from their parent issue.

Is the Development Team field set in the subtasks? If it is not, then the subtasks won't be included.

That Development Team field was blank for the subtasks. I entered a value and now the board displays as expected. Thanks for the help! My dev team also thanks you :)

Like Trudy Claspill likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events