Why use Services over Components when "Affected Services" cannot be set by Customer?

Josh Martin November 1, 2021

We are new to Jira Service Management.  I was very excited to see we could list out all of our Services and define their tier in our organization.  Even better, we can define their dependencies, which is great!

When we created all of our Request Types, we set up the Customer Form to display the "Affected Services" field so the customer could specify what service they're reporting an issue on.

Unfortunately, we found out the hard way that the "Affected Services" field is inaccessible by Customers. It is an Agent only field;  If the field is present and you mark it required, the customer will not be able to submit their request and no error message is displayed.

We have now listed all of our Services as Components and we're swapped out the "Affected Services" field with the "Components" field.

So, why would I want to use "Services" over "Components" when "Affected Services" cannot be set by the Customer?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Caroline Bartle
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 15, 2021

Hi Josh - The Affected Services field isn't agent-only, and should allow your customers to select a service (whether it's set to mandatory or not) when the field is included in your request forms.

Are you able to provide a bit more info on the errors you're encountering? 

Ross McCardal November 17, 2021

We are also not seeing the affected services filed appear for customers. Only Agents have visibility via the portal when creating or editing an issue.

[edit]

From the Atlassian Support pages...

Screenshot 2021-11-17 at 16.48.20.png

Josh Martin November 18, 2021

@Caroline Bartle Exactly what @Ross McCardal said.  Atlassian has purposefully made the Affected Services field only available to those who are licensed for Jira. There's no errors at all, it's just that it doesn't show up.  If you mark it as Required, it will not let the support request submit and error messages are not present either which just confuse our customers.

We've worked around this by not utilizing Services.  We created a Component for each Service and we're using the Components field instead now.  I would love to have some of the extended functionality of Services, though.

Like # people like this
Caroline Bartle
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 19, 2021

Thank you @Ross McCardal and @Josh Martin for your responses.

I've been looking into this further - I believe that the documentation page shared is inaccurate (we'll have it updated). Portal users don't have to be licensed for Jira to see the Affected Services field, however they do have to have an Atlassian Account to see it. A portal-only customer account will not be able to view/edit the field. 

Does this help? Could your portal customers be migrated to Atlassian accounts, or are there blockers to doing this?

Like # people like this
Josh Martin November 22, 2021

@Caroline Bartle Adding a customer from my Service Management Project is not enough and they have to set up an Atlassian account in addition to being added as a customer?  If I am understanding you correctly, is the proper onboarding process to create their account via Atlassian Admin > User Management > Users > Invite Users and do not give them any site access.  Once that is complete, I would add them as a customer to my service management project?

Like Ross McCardal likes this
Josh Martin December 6, 2021

@Caroline Bartle I hope you are having wonderful holidays! Did you see my previous response? I'm trying to understand the proper workflow, but I think I'm just confusing myself more.

Caroline Bartle
Atlassian Team
December 6, 2021

Hi @Josh Martin, sorry for the delayed response. You can migrate existing JSM portal-only customers to Atlassian Account via Atlassian Admin > User Management > Jira Service Management, and then clicking "Migrate to Atlassian Account" on the triple dot menu of a user. 

There's a bit more info about portal-only customers and Atlassian Accounts here: https://support.atlassian.com/user-management/docs/manage-jira-service-management-customer-accounts

Ákos Botos February 7, 2023

@Caroline Bartle

Does this approach lead to the increase of users on the operator of the JSM site and consequently to extra charges?

Gerald Bihr November 24, 2023

@Caroline Bartle Actually, even if the customer has an Atlassian account without a Jira (Cloud) license, it still does not work:

• The affected services field does not show in the request form of the portal

What do you suggest?

2 votes
Joshua Elcik February 9, 2022

The fact that Atlassian thought it would be a good idea to make Services only viewable by licensed jira users is just odd, who thought this was a good idea? 

Joshua Selser March 6, 2022

I am hard pressed to find any good reason for this design requirement -- but that doesn't mean there aren't any.  

So Atlassian JSM team, what is the reasoning behind this?  It might help us be able to manage our projects better if we understand the why behind the what... 

Like Dmitriy Garanzha likes this
Hamzah Mohamed May 16, 2022

The only reason I can think of is security. A potential intruder can use a service desk to find out what programs or services a company has so that they can attack just those services.

Like Scott Bjorke likes this
0 votes
Sussi Åström June 11, 2023

We have run into the same issue, as Affected services is not visible to customers, when using Refined for Cloud.  We can get it visible in the portal, but that does not help us. So, I am now looking into creating an automation, that will automatically update the Affected Services, from the components field. Has anyone gone down this route, and if has, care to share how been able to accomplish it?

J Conners July 9, 2023

We are using Premium, but I think this can work with Standard JSM

We created a form to use with request asking via a multiselect field linked to JSM Affected Services field what is not working (or whatever you want to call it) … Because it is linked it to Affected Services field this creates an automatic dropdown of the Services you have entered in JSM and allows for linking to Opsgenie.

0 votes
Paul Reynolds April 25, 2022

Run into exactly the same problem as everyone else here. Thought it made sense to use "affected services" on the portal forms but then realised the customers cant see the field.

Doesn't make much sense to me. 

@Josh Martin did you migrate the users? I worry this will just add confusion for the customers

Joshua Elcik April 25, 2022

No, we have to many customers to turn into licensed accounts, I just stopped using Affected services and created a custom field. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events